Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WouterLemaire
Active Contributor

Hi all,

SAP has recently released the new ide, called SAPWebIDE. Actually it was fitst called River RDE (Rapid Development environmt) but this was to confusing with HANA river. My first opinion was: "How can a browser based development environment ever replace eclipse?". I could not believe this change of SAP. After I was over it, I decided to try it out. I started investigating the SAPWebIDE in my cloud trial account. I already started seeing some of the benefits, but I was still not fully convinced :smile: . The next step was to start developing a real UI5 application. Therefore I wanted to use my existing gateway service. The gateway and backend system are both On-Premise. So I didn't want to use the SAPWebIDE in the cloud for my On-Premise application. Therefore I installed the SAPWebIDE On-Premise.

Installation steps:

1) download the SAPWebIDE plug-in from the SAPStore

https://store.sap.com/

2) create a folder SAPWebIDE under your C drive. Together with the SAPWebIDE plugin you will find the SAP Dev Guide.

C:\SAPWebIDE

3) extract the SAPWebIDE plug-in to the new folder

4) download eclipse Orion

Orion

5) extract to the SAPWebIDE folder

6) Download Eclipse Director

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/tools/buckminster/products/director_latest.zip&m...

7) extract to the SAPWebIDE folder

😎 open command line

9) navigate to the Director folder

10) run the following installation command

director -repository jar:file:..//updatesite.zip!/ -installIU com.sap.webide.orionplugin.feature.feature.group -destination c:\SAPWebIDE\eclipse

11) execute Orion.exe

Watch the tutorial for a more detailed guide:

Enjoy the tutorial and in the next blog we'll connect the SAPWebIDE to our On-Premise gateway. So stay tuned!

Connect the SAPWebIDE On-Premise to your SAP Gateway system On-Premise

Kind regards,

Wouter

15 Comments
Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing. Really helpful.

ipravir
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice Blog with all initial Steps, Thanks for Sharing.

Happy Learning

Praveer.

former_member205624
Contributor
0 Kudos

Good Blog, Very Helpful.

former_member184367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Very Helpful blog..

OliverGraeff
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Wouter,

Thanks for your helpful post.

Just to add an additional comment: Also when using SAP Gateway services and your On-Premise backend system, it is easily possible to leverage SAP Web IDE running on SAP HANA Cloud: Using the HCP Destinations plus SAP Cloud Connector you connect to your backend system. For those cases where a SAP Gateway service does not yet exist, SAP Web IDE enables the user to work with local mock data.

And after having developed and tested your app, SAP Web IDE can deploy it to your backend system, i.e. to the SAPUI5 ABAP repository. The respective documentation linked in SAP Web IDE explains these scenarios.

The mentioned local trial installation of SAP Web IDE is available for test and evaluation purposes. We plan to deliver an updated local version soon. We are also aware of the need for a local version that can be used for productive purposes. We are evaluating how we can improve our offering in that area and promise to update as soon as we can share something.

Cheers,

Oliver

WouterLemaire
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi oliver.graeff,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm aware of the cloud version and the possibilities of it. But I experienced that it's not always possible to use the cloud version. Some customers have a really secured network and do not let the cloud connector through. If customers don't have any cloud account you'll have to connect different customers to your own cloud account. So I think there will always be a need for an on-premise version.

Could it be possible to add the WebIDE to a support package of the SAP Gateway system? Or on HANA ? Like with the Theme designer.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wouter,

Firstly great blog and video really helpful, it was working perfectly for me but today when I went to log on I executed the orion file and rather than staying open it closes automatically.

I've checked everything to make sure there haven't been any changes made, I'm running out of things to try so I was wondering if you or anyone have experienced any similar problems.

kind regards,

Rob.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

The local (i.e.; on-premise) version is a real business need for us consultants due to several reasons.

I think it's time to consider seriously to provide the developers with the option to call SAP Web IDE tool from within the standard R/3 (like for instance the ABAP Workbench is called via the transaction SE80, or SmartForms.) You might either spawn the tool in its own container or a browser, or might just embed it into the SAP GUI session window. I think, it would give a better spin in SAP developers community, as well as encouraging ABAPers to transition/enhance their technical skills on the changing face of SAP.

Besides, why should the partners/developers pay for an additional fee for the Cloud account and the customers need to purchase a Cloud connector?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wouter,

I am working on Fiori Custimization. In this blog, it is written "The gateway and backend system are both On-Premise. So I didn't want to use the SAPWebIDE in the cloud for my On-Premise application".

Can i use the TRIAL HCP WEDIDE for connecting to my on premise sap system?

Thanks,

Divya

OliverGraeff
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Divya, yes you can. Connect trial SAP Web IDE to your on premise SAP system via HCP destination and HANA Cloud Connector. Regards, Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Oliver. Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos

Hi Wouter,

I have just followed your tutorial and got to install it. Some links are broken due to updates in Eclipse, but I could find everything.

However, when I start SAP Web IDE, the login screen is different from yours and there is no "Create account" button. Therefore, I cannot create an account to proceed. I have tried an account that I have created on Orion site with no luck.

What should I do?

Regards, Fabio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Application Lifecycle Management:
I understand that fully Productive version of WEBIDE is not available.
If we use the OnCloud version of WEBIDE, how can we move code changes across on-premise systems.

How does the deployment happen? do we have to import full package instead of specific files with code changes. Can we still keep versioning in SAP ABAP? ( I believe it will eventually end up as a BSP Application in either R/3 or S/4 )

-Udai

OliverGraeff
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Udai,

the productive version of SAP Web IDE is available on SAP HANA Cloud Platform. There also is a trial version.

It supports connectivity to ABAP systems for data consumption, app import and app deployment. Once deployed to an ABAP system, your app is being transported through your system landscape with a normal transport request. For these scenarios see the respective documentation in SAP Web IDE Developer Guide

and the HowTo guides in SAP Web IDE - Overview

When deploying in SAP Web IDE, you're being asked for a package and transport request. Physically it is stored in DB tables used for BSP applications. But it is no BSP application, we're just re-using those tables to leverage ABAP transports and note support.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Oliver

0 Kudos
Hi, I am new to SAP and would like to learn SAP Financial Accounting.

May I ask if the IDE is the way to connect to HANA Express Edition and be able to start Financial Accounting?

Thank  you very much
Labels in this area