cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII Upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

We are currently on xMII 12.1 on CE 7.1 ehp1 system.We have a requirement to upgrade the MII from xMII 12.1 to MII 12.2.

From the guides, I believe the upgrade from xMII 12.1 to MII 12.2 would be as follows.

1) Use CE Update Manager to deploy the XMII00_0, MIIADMIN00 corresponding to MII 12.2 as JSPM cannot recognize these files.

2) Migrate from MII 12.1 to MII 12.2 by exporting the configurations and projects from MII 12.1 and then importing them in MII 12.2 once the MII has been upgraded from MII 12.1 to MII 12.2.

Yes, there are pre-requisites corresponding to JRA and others according to the upgrade documentation.Please let me know if I have missed out on any steps.

But, After the First step, " Use CE Update Manager for deploying MII 12.2", will the existing MII 12.1 be no longer available in the system.

Regards,

Murali Narayanan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can see the list of installed software at some places, but my preferred one is with JSPM. There you can see if the installation of MII 12.2 has removed the installation of MII 12.1 (that seems to be the logic option).

Regards,

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just a caution when migrating where IDoc or RFC Listeners are concerned. You need to modify one version's Listener(s) using new (and unique) Program IDs. If you try to use the same Program IDs in both 12.1 and 12.2 instances, you will get inconsistent performance (some documents will go missing from one or the other Listener).

Regards,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Sep 27, 2010 1:02 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mike for your reply.

But, can you throw some light on whether the old MII 12.1 version will be available or not on the CE 7.1 EHP1 system further to the steps i had mentioned for the Upgrade from MII 12.1 to MII 12.2.

Will it be that further to the upgrade only MII 12.2 be available on the CE 7.1 EHP1 system and the MII 12.1 will no longer be available.

Regards,

Murali Narayanan

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Murali,

I believe you can keep both versions around, but I will let people who have actually done it comment on what needs to be done. I would suggest that you check the installation instructions for the NW versions (particularly the service packs) to see if there are conflicts there. If you are working on 12.1.5 or earlier, you will probably have to upgrade to a later service pack.

Regards,

Mike

jamie_cawley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

12.2 would overwrite 12.1. If you were to put 12.2 on a 12.1 box, I would recommend removing 12.1 first.

Regards,

Jamie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies Mike and Jamie,

Since I shall have to use the CE Update Manager to perform the Upgrade as suggested in the Upgrade guide corresponding to MII upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 ,

I believe CE Update Manager shall be deploying the SCA corresponding to MII 12.2 such that the MII 12.1 would be overwritten.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Murali Narayanan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any updates regarding my clarification?

Regards,

Murali Narayanan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Murali,

As a general comment on upgrading, you may want to review the [MII 12.x Best Practice Guide |http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/f08d7ae2-6f56-2c10-50b4-8a3bb1d43502]for performing the upgrade with SAP's Plan-Build-Run methodology. Also, there is a go-live checklist in the guide.

Regards,

Kevin

lawrence_prinsloo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

I did the upgrade in my VM and it went through pretty smoothly - I have a vanilla Netweaver installation though. I'd recommend you export all your MII 12.1 projects and configurations first before you do anything.

I've just had a look at my deployed components and it shows only 12.2 and not 12.1. I didn't "undeploy" 12.1 first, so the upgrade must've removed 12.1 (well that's my assumption anyway).

I did find that I lost some of my navigation links after the upgrade, but this is easy to fix if you've exported all your configurations and projects (as a file to your hard drive). This "loss" could also be due to my user / navigation link settings.

Otherwise, as I said, it's a pretty painless process, but just make sure you've exported all your configurations first!

Regards,

Lawrence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lawrence,

Since, you have already completed the upgrade, Can you please confirm if you had made use of the CEUPDATE manager for doing the upgrade from MII 12.1 to MII 12.2 ?

Regards,

Murali Narayanan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

People who have already completed the upgrade from MII 12.1 to 12.2, can you please confirm if the upgrade was completed using the CEupdate Manager ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Murali Narayanan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the upgrade from MII 12.1 to 12.2 needs to be carried out using CEupdate Manager considering the underlying CE system already matches the pre-requisites.

I was able to perform the upgrade using CEUpdate Manager.

Regards,

Murali Narayanan