cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PaPM transports - Admin guide

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need clarification on the below steps of Admin guide for SP13, we have used the same number range across clients in the landscape for e.g. in Dev, Quality and Production without any issues during the transport. So confused with the below statements.

• Transporting environments across systems/clients where number range interval definitions for /NXI/* number range objects are identical could lead to serious inconsistencies. When you are setting up the landscape, you therefore need to make sure that the number range intervals do not overlap and are distinct.
  • Ensure that the source system client and the target system client have their own distinct number range intervals before you transport any environments between these systems to avoid any serious inconsistencies.
0 Kudos

Current number range in the system.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

alex_marasigan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Padma,

Good day.

The number ranges should not be the same in both clients, in your case it will not be a problem as long as the configuration is done only on Development and only transported to Quality and Production. The Problem will arise specifically with generated objects like CDS View, ODS View, BW objects if you are transporting configurations from Development and doing some configurations directly in Quality and Production as well. Problems will also arise during circular transports (ex: Development -> Quality -> Production -> (then back to) Development), because the existing objects with the same name (but belongs to a different function) gets dropped and re-created.

Hope this helps.

Thank you and best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response.

If I understand correctly generated objects like CDS, ODS views and BW objects take the next available number range in the said client and does not follow the same number as it was transported. In my previous experience, I have seen same object with different technical name/number in different clients. Please correct my understanding and share your thoughts.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Padma Reddy

0 Kudos

Hi,

The number ranges should not be the same in both clients. They should not overlap with each other and you should not also use the number range intervals indicated in the administration guide.

Thanks,
Ivann