Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales BOM with two warehouses

IldiW
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have a scenario where a Sales BOM item is sold from two warehouses (the components are also sold as separate products).
The desired process is that the child items are consumed from the warehouse where the parent item was sold. Instead, they are currently taken from the warehouse that is setup in the BOM - creating stock differences between the warehouses.
We don't want to create stock for the parent items, just consume inventory for the child items as they are sold.
Is there any way to resolve this?
Thanks!

View Entire Topic
gergely_tyukos
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear ildi_w,

If the BOM Type is Sales, the Parent item must be Sales item.

Only a Production Type BOM can be defined for Parent item which is Inventory item.

As the Parent item of the Sales BOM cannot be an Inventory item, it means that it cannot have any inventory and it is not related to any warehouse.

As the Parent item in the Sales BOM is not related to any warehouse, the components cannot be consumed from the warehouse related to Parent item (as there is any related warehouse). When you create the delivery to dispatch the customer order, the components are backflush issued from inventory.

The Sales BOM and the Assembly BOM represent a finished product assembled at the sales stage, that is, the finished product is composed of its component items only when the parent product is actually sold. The component items are stored and tracked individually in the warehouse.

For both the Sales BOM and the Assembly BOM, you do not manage the parent product as an inventory item, but rather as a sales item. The components can also be sales and inventory items in their own right.

For further information please refer to the:

Bill of Materials Types

Best Regards,

Gergely Tyukos

SAP Support

IldiW
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Gergely,

I really appreciate your reply - I think I understand what you're saying.

However, I would have thought that it's a common scenario, selling a BoM item from multiple warehouses (imagine different shop locations around the country). SAP should recognise (or at least give you the option) that if the sale is going through in a certain warehouse, the items should be consumed from the same warehouse. Our issue is that the sales are generated through POS terminals (rather than manually in SAP) and the operator can't change the warehouse location manually.

I understand that this is not the default setup but is there a way to make this happen?
Many thanks,

Ildi

gergely_tyukos
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello ildi_w,

When you generate the delivery document (or any other Sales document) for the Sales BOM, the system automatically uses the component's warehouse from the Sales BOM definition. However, before you add the sales document you have the option to edit the Warehouse for the component in the document line. The system will issue the component from the warehouse, which is defined in the line of the sales document.

Kind Regards,

Gergely Tyukos

SAP Support

IldiW
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Gergely!
As I mentioned, the issue is that the user is adding the invoice through a POS terminal integrated with SAP, therefore they can't change the warehouse code manually as you are suggesting.

It sounds like there is no solution to this issue - but I really appreciate your detailed answers!

thanks,

Ildi