cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband requirements for SAP Business one, please help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Hoping you may be able to shed some light on what the minimum requirements are for running SAP across adsl broadband, what is the minimum download/upload speed etc. Or is efm/lease line a more preferable method.

View Entire Topic
ChrisRae
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

If you haven't worked this out yet, you can register for a free trial and test the connection that way. The question is a hard one to answer and it really does depend on what you are doing with the product. From my point of view, I connect to HANA instances on AWS, as well as our systems at the office. I also connect to HCP for testing and playing with some technologies. All of this is done from a consumer grade 1.5mb / 256k ADSL connection. Could it be faster... of course it could. Realistically there is not much of a noticeable delay.

A couple of things come to mind with the first thing being, how many users will be using the connection to connect to Business One and probably more important... what else is happening on the line at the same time.

All said and done, I would go for a connection that is as fast as you can reasonable afford and also make sure you choose a technology that allows you to expand the speed (and cost) when required.

Hope the helps you

Chris Rae.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

There are 75 licenses in total. Across 16 sites connected back to head office. All of the satellite offices have adsl bb, with upload speeds varying between 0.3mb up and 0.9mb up. As well as SAP B1 they run POS, emails etc. All connected by a VPN. What are your thoughts on these upload speeds, as currently sites are dropping SAP connection on a daily basis.

ChrisRae
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I'll get to your points to a second. First up though, this kind of detail would have probably got some more interesting results for you if you had of put it in the original question.

Moving on, it sounds to me like you are going to have to do some research into what is happening on your network. For example the obvious one is emails. If you are sending a large email to the site, they will be consuming a fair portion of the bandwidth. I would expect to see bigger latencies during this time. The only real way to control this is to introduce QoS (Quality of Service) on your network.

I also want to clarify, how are they connected back to your head office? Are you a hub and spoke network with the head office at the centre or is the head office just another spoke with a large teclo acting as the Hub for internet access and the like. If the head office is the hub then you may have contention on that link that is causing it to flood. You are going to have to share more details and do some work on the infrastructure side to document and understand what is happening and where.

I know from experience, we spent a lot of time trying to track down timeouts in specific sites (I work for a large retailer), we found emails as being the primary cause in a lot of cases.

Hopefully that sheds some light for you, happy to continue this conversation.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

That's really interesting and definitely food for thought, so effectively it all comes down to bandwidth and data allocation.

ChrisRae
Participant
0 Kudos

It can get a whole lot more complex than that. I would start though with understanding the bandwidth usage patterns and the contention of these links.

If you need more help with tools and the like, send me an email directly. You can get that from my scn profile.

Chris