cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset GR vs. Material Stock

0 Kudos

Hi,

We have been facing this issue since we started SAP, and this was never answered, and I didn't find a clear answer to this issue.

In our case, suppose we want to purchase 10 Computers, then the steps followed:

1- IT user creates PR and enters the material code for "Computer" and specifies Qty 10

2- Finance user defines asset, and assigns it to the PR item "Computer, Qty 10"

3- PR goes through release strategy, and then converted into PO, and PO is released as well

4-IT user makes GR, and the full 10 Computers will go directly into the asset. The received computers will not go into unrestricted stock, so that the computer is issued against reservation from other department users.

Frankly, we are receiving the materials into two systems. In SAP, and in another system. The other system will help us to track and know whom the computer was issued.

How to solve this, and let the system move the received items to the stock while Finance user keeps asset number assigned to these materials.

If what I mentioned above is wrong practice, then what is the correct one.

We need to keep some spare stock of computers in the store in case of emergency replacing old computer with new one.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

View Entire Topic
JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One item cannot be current asset and fixed asset at the same time. Any accountant should be able to explain this to you.

If you want inventory (current asset) then procure it to the warehouse stock, and when you issue it to a user then it becomes an asset.

Probably the financial guys do not want that as they like to depreciate the value right from the beginning.

Maybe custom fields can help you if the standard asset master doesn't provide any option for tracking (excuse me, but this is not my area of expertise) , see this blog and video: https://blogs.sap.com/2017/07/12/new-video-extending-master-data-for-fixed-assets-in-sap-s4hana-clou...