cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRP - To Procure Maintenance Spares

0 Kudos

Hi every one!

If an energy company has a power plant that requires maintenance similar to an engine in a vehicle, with the exception of a few items such as lube, air filters, or oil filters, then the consumption plan for most maintenance items cannot be predicted well. Given this, should MRP be implemented for such maintenance-related activities that are not similar to a production line?

In addition to the example of my work related industry, What are the other challenges and limitations of MRP.

Secondly, what are the pre-requisites for any industry to must consider before going to implement MRP?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hello Safraz

V1 and VB are the reorder point MRP types. You will determine a reorder point (which is basically a minimum stock level) and, whenever your stock falls below this reorder point, MRP will trigger a new replenishment proposal to buy the component.

If you are using S/4HANA, you can also use the new Demand-Driven MRP, which will help you to classify your products and system will automatically calculate a reorder point and a maximum stock level for each product, based in the product classification and the average daily usage.

Regards,
Caetano

0 Kudos

Hello Caetano,

Thanks a lot for helping to understand MRP types. Considering my case in my original message, do you suggest we should go for MRP?

Thanks,

Sarfraz.

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You can definitely go for a reorder point MRP type, for those components where you need to have some stock level.

Oscar_DC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Personally, I stay away from forecasts in these scenarios. They're harder for the biz users to understand, management believes they don't have control over the results and they can give you problems very quickly ...

I had a store room manager who believed that he was running MRP .... but he had never RAN the forecast and the parts which were extended to a new storage location had 0 usage, so he NEVER got any results ...

The one thing that you need to know is how they are using their parts in their preventive maintenance process. If the have preventive maintenance plans with task lists, then you'll be able to know the demand instead of running a forecast.

I like using MRP Types V1 or VB and lot size HB on these scenarios. It is easy to understand and to manage. You can calculate the reoder point manually and have them categorize their materials by criticality and use that to influence your reorder point

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply, can you tell me what types V1 and VB are about?