Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

career advise

jaigupta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I m currently working as an abaper in one of the MNC.In one year time , I will be planning to switch to some other company . So,need some advise how can I plan my journey from here to get better package based on my knowledge..Pls tell me about some concepts on which I should concentrate more...Till now I have Working knowledge on reports,alv's,workflows etc.Any suggestion will be helpful........

Thanks and regards,

Jai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ABAP is a sticker that most of the SAP people wear on their forehead. It is not something valuable, it is almost the standard. So your primary concern should be to get a better sticker. Something that is not so common. Like Java for SAP, Java+ABAP in PI, BW ABAP, something you can`t see people doing around all the time.

I would also suggest you to scan for opportunities rather than trying to do a cold-blooded decision and then spend months chasing a chiera, because you accidentaly chose a field where nobody is hiring or where there is tough competition.

Cheers Otto

8 REPLIES 8

Venkat_Sesha
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jai,

Since you are already working as an ABAPer, first dession yourself to what you are passion about. Coding Side/ Click-click side (example Function). If you are intrested in Coding side , since already have knowledge on workflow. I would like to suggest you Web-Dynpro. These two combination is hot in US market as well as in India. Along with these two HR-ABAP is huge added advantage. you can Demand upto 10-12laks. If you are not intrested in Techinical side. Then go for BI/BO/BW or PI/XI(both are same) or EDI. Among this list i would suggest BI or PI. because they are bit related to technical work (Coding) as well. so you will be in both sides. Hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

I would advise you to learn to learn the functional aspect of your system for. The mix technical / functional is a true differentiator and very valuable.

Good luck with your career

Greetings,

Stéphane

Looking for new colleagues at Logica in the Netherlands.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ABAP is a sticker that most of the SAP people wear on their forehead. It is not something valuable, it is almost the standard. So your primary concern should be to get a better sticker. Something that is not so common. Like Java for SAP, Java+ABAP in PI, BW ABAP, something you can`t see people doing around all the time.

I would also suggest you to scan for opportunities rather than trying to do a cold-blooded decision and then spend months chasing a chiera, because you accidentaly chose a field where nobody is hiring or where there is tough competition.

Cheers Otto

jaigupta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

Thanks for your reply,will any module knowledge will be helpful or anything in ale/edi or webdynpro concepts?

Thanks,

Jai

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are three possible ways:

• from ABAP/ technical to BASIS = hardcore infrastructure, security etc.

• functional = become a customizing consultant for a module for example

• analysis = if you understand ver well how things work, how they could work, what are the advantages or disadvantages, then you can try to sell your brain power instead of the power of your arms

But still: it depends on job openings around you or opportunities = if something new is started in your company, if you can get any support from your boss, colleagues etc.

We cannot decide about your new "module" for you. How is your current job, company and workplace?

What are alternatives on the market?

You can delegate the responsibility about your future career to a stranger on SDN.

Otto

jaigupta
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

I know its hard to take a call on someone else career but still thanks for replying.

Thanks,

Jai

0 Kudos

Hi Jai,

I believe as an ABAPer , you should understand the business and it's process more than coding. Over a period of time SQL and DB queries will be easy for you. But needs to be focus more on business requirement like Why customer asking Report? Why customer wants extra field in Report?

If we apply the intelligence while developing the code as per requirement ( fetching data from different tables ) it's more enough to understand why so many modules are introduced in SAP.

Regards,

Partha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest you to enter into SAP BI. Because it needs functional knowledge as well as ABAP coding skills. A BI developer with ABAP skills is an absolute 100% match and it's really a very very rare combination.

Good luck.

thanks

jayant