Application Development Blog Posts
Learn and share on deeper, cross technology development topics such as integration and connectivity, automation, cloud extensibility, developing at scale, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beyhan_meyrali
Active Contributor
Hi Abapers,

In this blog post, I would like to share an alternative way of working with JSON, especially with huge json data.

As we all experience, JSON is the most popular standard when it comes to integration, communicating to 3rd party systems. And SAP finally has good libraries to work with json(/ui2/cl_json) . But before that we need to use non-standard sap libraries for parsing, such as zJson. zJson is slower than /ui2/cl_json. Still, I thank to zJson developers for providing an option.

/ui2/cl_json is good to transform between DDIC and Json. But what you would do if you need to query json as you would query a database table? This blog post will be about that. We will see how to query a json document in MSSQL and how to use MSSQL's this ability in abap.

My scenario is, CAD software provides mbom data in json format and that is a huge file. PO converts that Json document to xml, parses that document and Sap consumes that data parts with inbound proxy calls. SAP Abap code gets data from inbound proxy and stores them in tables. Afterwards whole different data sets are processed. But Abap layer does not see original json document. That document is not stored in a database, in case if you want to compare differences between documents. And I thought, It would be great if we could store that json in a database and query it quickly directly from Abap :).

And I found out, SAP Hana provides Json Document Store and Oracle, MSSQL also provides ability to store and query json documents too. I could not try SAP Hana option, because it requires basis support. Therefore I have installed MSSQL server developer edition next to my SAP Abap Netweaver Developer edition and tested both.

First let me show you the document structure of mine and mssql database table.

DDIC to Json

Code Block to convert DDIC to Json. I read top 100 Mara records and top 100 Mseg records and store them in a structure with CREATE_JSON_FROM_STC method.
* <SIGNATURE>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
* | Instance Public Method ZTMP_CL_JSON_TEST->CREATE_JSON_FROM_STC
* +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
* | [<-()] DURATION TYPE DECFLOAT34
* +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</SIGNATURE>
METHOD CREATE_JSON_FROM_STC.
STC1-ELEMENT1 = '1'.
STC1-ELEMENT2 = '22'.

SELECT * FROM MARA INTO TABLE @DATA(MARA_TMP) UP TO 100 rows.
SELECT * FROM MSEG INTO TABLE @DATA(MSEG_TMP) UP TO 100 rows.

APPEND LINES OF MARA_TMP TO STC1-MARAS.
APPEND LINES OF MSEG_TMP TO STC1-MSEGS.

GET RUN TIME FIELD DATA(STARTTIME).

JSON_STR = /UI2/CL_JSON=>SERIALIZE( EXPORTING DATA = STC1 ).

GET RUN TIME FIELD DATA(ENDTIME).
DURATION = CONV DECFLOAT34( ENDTIME - STARTTIME ).
ENDMETHOD.

METHOD JSON_TO_STC.
GET RUN TIME FIELD DATA(STARTTIME).

/UI2/CL_JSON=>DESERIALIZE(
EXPORTING
JSON = JSON_STR
CHANGING
DATA = STC2
).

GET RUN TIME FIELD DATA(ENDTIME).
DURATION = CONV DECFLOAT34( ENDTIME - STARTTIME ).

ENDMETHOD.
ENDCLASS.

And here is the table code and content on MSSQL server. I am using PLM database and CAS table.

Table DDL

Table Content

As you can see, cas table jdoc column contains my json document. Now lets connect run a few queries and see the results.

So, those are a few samples on how to query json data. You can read more on links at the Related Links section.

Now, lets connect SAP to MSSQL database. For that we need to open transaction DBACOCKPIT.

Create a New DB Connection

Provide Server and Database Connection Info

Test Your Connection

And finally a sample abap code to read directly from MSSQL with native sql.
CLASS zjson_cl_mssql_plm DEFINITION
PUBLIC
FINAL
CREATE PUBLIC .

PUBLIC SECTION.

CONSTANTS:BEGIN OF c_stat,
success TYPE char1 VALUE 'S',
warning TYPE char1 VALUE 'W',
error TYPE char1 VALUE 'E',
END OF c_stat.

TYPES: BEGIN OF gty_status,
status TYPE char1,
status_text TYPE char200,
END OF gty_status.

TYPES: BEGIN OF gty_cas,
id TYPE char100,
cdate TYPE char100,
jdoc TYPE string,
msegs TYPE string,
maras TYPE string,
END OF gty_cas,
gty_t_cas TYPE TABLE OF gty_cas.

DATA: cass TYPE gty_t_cas.

METHODS read_all_data
RETURNING VALUE(status) TYPE gty_status.

PROTECTED SECTION.
PRIVATE SECTION.

CONSTANTS: c_conname TYPE dbcon-con_name VALUE 'MSSQL'.
ENDCLASS.

CLASS ZJSON_CL_MSSQL_PLM IMPLEMENTATION.

* <SIGNATURE>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
* | Instance Public Method ZJSON_CL_MSSQL_PLM->READ_ALL_DATA
* +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
* | [<-()] STATUS TYPE GTY_STATUS
* +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</SIGNATURE>
METHOD read_all_data.
DATA: exref TYPE REF TO cx_root.
TRY .

DATA: id TYPE char100,
cdate TYPE char100,
msegs TYPE string,
maras TYPE string,
jdoc TYPE string.

EXEC SQL.
CONNECT to :c_conname
ENDEXEC.

"Get Data
EXEC SQL.
OPEN dbcur FOR
select
id
,cdate
,jdoc
,JSON_QUERY(jdoc, '$.MSEGS') as MSEGS
,JSON_QUERY(jdoc, '$.MARAS') as MARAS
from CAS
ENDEXEC.

"Fetch data
DO.

CLEAR:id ,cdate ,msegs, maras, jdoc.

EXEC SQL.
fetch next dbcur into :id, :cdate ,:jdoc ,:msegs ,:maras
ENDEXEC.

IF sy-subrc <> 0.
EXIT.
ENDIF.

APPEND VALUE #( id = id cdate = cdate jdoc = jdoc msegs = msegs maras = maras ) TO cass.
ENDDO.

"Close db cursor
EXEC SQL.
close dbcur
ENDEXEC.

EXEC SQL.
disconnect :c_conname
ENDEXEC.

status-status = c_stat-success.

CATCH cx_root INTO exref.
status-status = c_stat-error.
status-status_text = exref->get_text( ).
ENDTRY.
ENDMETHOD.
ENDCLASS.

Lets run the code and see the results.

Make a Call

Results

Single Line Of Results

That is all. As you can see, we can harness power of MSSQL database and combine it with Abap. In that way instead of normalizing json data in Z tables, we can store them in database tables as json documents and query it like querying and database table.

I hope that post was helpful for you and gave you an idea.

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Related Links

https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_HANA_PLATFORM/3e48dd3ad36e41efbdf534a89fdf278f/b4518419653e44daad99c28...

https://michals.blog/2018/10/16/performance-of-json-in-sql-server/#:~:text=JSON%20query%20took%20on%...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/json/json-data-sql-server?view=sql-server...

https://blogs.sap.com/2023/05/11/howto-migrating-from-zjson-to-ui2-cl_json/
2 Comments