cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP and Eclipse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

Just wondering if someone could give me any input of where Eclipse fits into SAP Java programming? I'm fairly new to SAP coming from a software development background and I'm now wishing to put my JAVA skills to good use with SAP. I'm aware that SAP WAS has a JAVA IDE inbuilt for development, however I read briefly that Eclipse was playing a part also in SAP development?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pravesh_verma
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

There is nothing much to wonder about :)!!

Actually SAP is using t he Eclipse IDe for the development and use the plugin concept for providing the compatibility for the development of the application like HTMLB, and webDynpro.

Any framework which SAP wants to add to the eclipse IDE it just add it as a new plugin and then we can use the IDe for SAP specific application development.

I hope this helps you. Kindly revert back in case of any further clarification.

Regards

Pravesh

PS: Please consider rewarding points if helpful and solved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that did! Thankyou very much for that.

Well in that case, familiarisation with the Eclipse IDE would stand me in good stead with the Netweaver IDE?

Do you know if it is possible to write application outside of the Netweaver IDE, within Eclipse and port them in?

Last question, are there certain elements of Eclipse that are used within SAP IDE? There is a plethora of options available for use when you look at the Eclipse download packages, therefore I would like to attempt to become familiar with those most in use within the SAP environment!

Thanks

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Well in that case, familiarisation with the Eclipse IDE would stand me in good stead with the Netweaver IDE? --><b>SURELY YES</b>

2. Do you know if it is possible to write application outside of the Netweaver IDE, within Eclipse and port them in? --> Could be <b>YES</b>

3.are there certain elements of Eclipse that are used within SAP IDE? There is a plethora of options available for use when you look at the Eclipse download packages, therefore I would like to attempt to become familiar with those most in use within the SAP environment! --> <b>SAP has added some plugins inaddition to the one you find in Vannilla Eclipse.</b>

Thanks

Jack

Message was edited by: Jack

suresh_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

For more information about SAP Netweaver developer studio. See this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/cb/f4bc3d42f46c33e10000000a11405a/frameset.htm

Regards

Suresh

pravesh_verma
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

Yes definately if you already have a hands on Eclipse IDE then workingon NWDS will help you a lot.

<b>>> Do you know if it is possible to write application outside of the Netweaver IDE, within Eclipse and port them in?</b>

<b>Ans:</b> Well, not exactly!! But if you want to create a simple java/J2EE applications then you can write them some where and then create a Java project in Netweaver IDE and finally do "Organise import" so as to include all the references of the jars etc..

Apart from that you can import the ear file which is developed in eclipse to NWDS directly. So I think this is what you are concerned with.. Right!!

<b>>> Are there certain elements of Eclipse that are used within SAP IDE?</b>

<b>Ans:</b> Yes, NWDS also have the same plugin for Java/J2EE delopment projects. The difference comes when you start working in those framework which are provided by SAP like I have already mentioned WebDynpro, HTMLB.

I dont think you will face much problem when you come to the development at NWDS if you already have a experience with Eclipse IDE.

Regards

Pravesh

PS: Please conside rewarding points if helpful and solved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

WOW, What an excellent response from you all!!!!!!!

Help and/or assistance of this kind is what makes such communities as the SDN a fantastic resource.

A BIG thank you

Murali_Shanmu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

As stated by other members, we can use Eclipse to create J2EE applications and host them on our WAS server, instead of a normal Weblogic/Websphere servers. But if you would wish to do some WebDynpro development, then eclipse editor would not have the options for that. SAP has just added a layer over eclipse to support webDynpro developments and PDK developments.

Hope I made it clear.

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pravesh,

You have given me valuable suggestion, thats good.

I feel SAP Netweaver is much usefull in portal,

Where as CRM ISA applications, Iam not feeling much comfortable while importing a project.

Iam have followed below stops

1)File-> New -> web application, Giving the name of Project(weg ..ISATest)

2) selecting the project(ISATest)import importing the respective folder, here Iam getting 2 xml.files,one from web project and one from imported one.

will you please give me steps to import a webapplication(contains jsp,servlets,xml) , and I need to modify that application in Sap Netweaver.

-devender

If you can help me that will be greatfull for me.

Answers (0)