cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

counter when in cube?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello BW Experts,

1) what are the scenarios we use the counters in the cube. One scenario i can think of is, in the deliveries cube, in case we need to count the number of items in the delivery then we add the counter (keyfigure infobject) and '=1' in the update rules. The effet of this would be, when the report is run drilldown by deliveries would give the number of items in the counter column. In case we drilldown to the level of material / item level then we see value 1 in the counter column.

2) Is it a standard practice to keep counter in the cube ( as part of modelling )?

Any suggestions appreciatd.

Thanks,

BWer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

IMHO there is no reason for keeping a key figure named 'counter' in the cube, just for counting records. If you count something, you should know what you want to count -> and you should give an right name to it ;-).

ad. 1.) Why don't you call your 'counter' as 'number of items in the delivery' ? ;-).

BR

Wojciech

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member195980
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We actually do usually use a counter as a key figure in infocubes. It often comes handy when doing calculations etc in queries. And performance is much better than creating a calculated query key figure to count, because it has to drilldown to the most detailed leve.

Regards,

Beat Stoller

The Swiss Post

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi BWer,

It is common to keep a counter as a part of the cube design. It is useful in cases that you need to count the occurences of a char relative to one or more chars in the report. There is a white paper on the same too...

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhanu,

Wondeirng if is there any other logic implemented other than the one logic i described.

Thanks,

BWer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhanu,

Could you write where is this whitepaper or how is the name of if ?

thanks

Wojciech

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Wojciech,

it's 'how to count the occurence of a characteristics...'

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/7e58e690-0201-0010-fd85-a2f...

hi BWer,

yes, keep counter in infocube is 'standard' use.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for explanation.

I fully agree that there are a lot of situation where we can need to have a information about the numer of fact occurencies in ICube.

But i think we should always try to give to this fact an right name - and not call it just 'counter'. When we model an InfCube, the first thing we do, is 'declaring the grain' (e.g. invoice position ....) . Than we know what we keep in the cube -> and my practice was to name it (e.g. number of invoice positions).

Wojciech