Product Lifecycle Management Blogs by Members
Get insider knowledge about product lifecycle management software from SAP. Tap into insights and real-world experiences with community member blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soumya83
Explorer
In this blog post, I'll like to share some of my observations while exploring material master at SAP DMC after transferring it from S4HANA system.

# Observation 1: Version

Unlike ME, inbuilt version of a material that has been transferred from ERP has become ERP001, ERP002 and so on in stead A, A-1, A-2… This is good as from the version itself it is identifiable whether transfer from ERP. Though while creation a material locally at DMC any version nomenclature can be adopted.

# Observation 2: Description

In DMC, material description can be maintained in multiple language. material description can be displayed in multiple languages, based on the language web browser setting.

In case material description is getting maintained in multiple language at ERP then after transferring it is getting taken care at DMC automatically.

ERP:

DMC

# Observation 3: Routing & Recipe option

As DMC is capable to handle both discrete and repetitive manufacturing scenario, at material master both routing and recipe selection option exists in case operation wise component allocation is required.

# Observation 4: Production Type

As DMC is capable to handle both discrete and repetitive manufacturing, at material master “SFC-Based” option to be selected for discrete industry scenario where as “Order-Based” to be selected for process industry.

The lot size and quantity restriction fields are updated according to the production type. If an order-based production type is chosen, then the Quantity Restriction field will display Any Number and the Lot Size field will automatically display the high number 999,999,999.000.

# Observation 4: Alternative UoM Supported

In DMC, alternative UoM is supported. But UoM and alternate UoM can neither be maintained nor be edited locally at DMC. It can only be adopted from the source ERP system.

ERP

DMC

# Observation 5: “Packaging Data” section

“Packaging Data” Section is only visible if material type is selected as “Finished”, “Packaging”, “Returnable Packaging” or “Semi-finished Product”

But packaging information are not transferable from ERP. To be maintained locally at DMC.

Please share, Like and Comment. Share or add points if anything else you want to.

Thanks & Best Regards

Soumya Das

SME - SAP Manufacturing
7 Comments
Hi Soumya,

thanks for the summary of your observations.

I only want to clarify a remark form your observations 3 and 4. DMC does not yet support repetitive manufacturing (REM) based on Planned Orders, but discrete Production Orders (Routing) and Process Orders (Recipe).

However, REM support is on our Roadmap.

Best regards, Michael
0 Kudos

Hello Soumya, great post indeed, thanks for sharing!

I also have a remark for you, on bullet point # Observation 4: Production Type regarding Lot Size.

Lot Size logic is changing in 21.11 Release, planned to go live in prod this Saturday 13th of November / 2021, as it is no longer affected by Production Type.

See further details below:

Lot Size in Manage Materials App

A new logic is introduced for lot size management and reflected in the Manage Materials app:

The lot size for materials downloaded from SAP ERP (both cloud and on-premise) system and for materials created in SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud is defaulted to “-1” for both process and discrete plants.

Materials with an SAP ERP serialized profile are assigned lot size "1.0" after they have been downloaded from an SAP ERP system.

You can set up a custom lot size using either a customized XSTL process or by manually changing the lot size in the Manage Materials app.

Important note: The field Production Type in the Manage Materials app no longer has an impact on the lot size of a material.

Thanks,

Manoel

Soumya83
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks Michael

Just another observation I want to share. Back flush indicator is not there at material level. It has been shifted to BOM component level. At BOM component level, it is in non editable mode and hence expected to be updated during transfer.

But in ERP there is no provision to mark Backflush at BOM level. In ERP Back flush provision is there at material, work center and routing/recipe level.

So any Idea, how to set a material relevant for back flush at DMC?

Regards

Soumya
Soumya83
Explorer
Thanks Manoel for sharing the latest update.

Regards

Soumya
0 Kudos
Hi Soumya,

Backflushing of a component is always ERP-driven and triggered by the yield/scrap confirmations. Therefore it is not possible to configure this behaviour locally in DMC, but only via the possibilities in ERP that you listed.

In DMC is was decided to store it within the BOM object, as this is the best area to control the integration behaviour of DMC, but as you mentioned, it is read-only.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Best regards, Michael
Soumya83
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Michael

Thanks for quick response. I completely agree with what you said. Do you mean that backflush indicator is not at all required at DMC and shall be removed from BOM component even later on?

if no then how to set the backflush indicator at BOM level at DMC as there is no provision of backflush in ERP BOM. So during BOM transfer from ERP how system will determine that the specific component is relevant for backflush and mark it at DMC? BOMMAT doesn't carry any backflush indicator information.

Thanks

Soumya
Soumya83
Explorer