Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I become an SD implementation consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

Now my work is external consultant for 1.5 years, provide solution if the user have any issue.such as:

1. The user need an billing list. I will save an list from table VBRK to them.

2. Happened an error when create sales order, the user contact me and operate as my solution.

3. Changed configure in SPRO and wrote function spec to support user's business.

It's my dream that become an SD implementation consultant, what do I need to prepare???

I have been working hard to improve myself. Try to improve SD skill and English. Practice configuration in the IDES system.

Need your support.

Thanks,

Candy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have not explained in detail the background of your domain and SAP exposure.

No matter whether you take up an implementation project or support project; only thing that people / client / your team watches you is that how best you give solution to a issue when it matters.

Having said this, set a goal that daily you practice one standard scenario like creation of master data, next day sale order and goes on.  Dont start with entire SD configuration as it will confuse you.  Go step by step and make a note somewhere what exactly you were doing / practicing daily.  When you start the next exercise next day, do one more exercise of previous day.

You need to understand that to create a master data, what configuration you have to do.  Take the inputs from here since many times, it has been discussed and do the configuration as explained therein.

While practicing, I am sure, system will give many standard error messages and you will get stucked with that without knowing how to overcome from that issue.  Just type that standard error message in Google so that you will get answer to that.  Keep practicing practicing a lot as you need to go a long way.

G. Lakshmipathi

6 REPLIES 6

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Candy Zheng

Currently you are working as support consultant and you want to go for implementation side. For this you have to have strong knowledge of system, business processes and integration points of SD with other modules. In consultancy One should have good communication skills and convincing power because you have to interact with many operational persons and business managers etc. You have to understand their business scenarios and then map them in SAP. For this one should be a good listner as well.

Most of the important thing is availability of implementation role. See which companies are there in your country involved in implementation and apply for a job there. If you have some reference try to take benefit of that or apply on your own and wait for the fruitful result.

I dont know whether you are certified or not but if you are not then go for certification exam. It will be a plus point and they will give you preference when they'll hire for some implementation role.

Thank$

0 Kudos

Dear MoazzaM,

Thank you very much, it's very useful to me.

Best,

Candy

0 Kudos

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Candy,

One practice I follow is to read and analyse daily - the standard SAP processes!

E.g. Cash Sale -

How has SAP configured this process?

What are the important functionalities (immediate delivery, print out which has bill related details, delivery date, account determination etc. etc.)

Return process -

Functionalities (shipping conditions in sales document type, not from customer, movement types, pricing, reference mandatory etc. etc.)

By repeatedly looking in to how SAP has implemented processes, you would get a rich knowledge-base, which shall help you to become a good implementation consultant.

srinu_s1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Candy,

Apart from the above two valuable suggestions, Please also spend some time on the below link,here many individual requirements came across by their implementation or support project are discussed.  If you start working on it by which definitely increase your confidence level at the time of implementation.

Here many seniors give their valuable suggestions which are useful when you come across such requirements while implementing the same in your project.

thanks,

Srinu.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have not explained in detail the background of your domain and SAP exposure.

No matter whether you take up an implementation project or support project; only thing that people / client / your team watches you is that how best you give solution to a issue when it matters.

Having said this, set a goal that daily you practice one standard scenario like creation of master data, next day sale order and goes on.  Dont start with entire SD configuration as it will confuse you.  Go step by step and make a note somewhere what exactly you were doing / practicing daily.  When you start the next exercise next day, do one more exercise of previous day.

You need to understand that to create a master data, what configuration you have to do.  Take the inputs from here since many times, it has been discussed and do the configuration as explained therein.

While practicing, I am sure, system will give many standard error messages and you will get stucked with that without knowing how to overcome from that issue.  Just type that standard error message in Google so that you will get answer to that.  Keep practicing practicing a lot as you need to go a long way.

G. Lakshmipathi