Beginner Corner Discussions
Reach out to instructors, professors, SAP experts or your peers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux for Basis administrators

L_Skorwider
Participant

Dear SAP community,

I am a Basis administrator with rather longer experience. I am also a Linux enthusiast, which I have also been using on my personal computer for at least a dozen years. Since I like to share my knowledge, I recently started creating educational videos that describe various technical topics in an easy and relaxed way. Or at least that's what I hope.

I wanted to recommend you a video that conveys quite a bit of knowledge about using Linux in everyday work. The experience I have gathered over the years in a nutshell. Of course, it's only 10 commands, but you have to start somewhere. I'm interested in your opinion if it is worth continuing.

I hope you will find this video interesting or at least helpful.

BTW if you are considering having own SAP sandbox at home, I can recommend you this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXldsgqnBm4

4 REPLIES 4

David_Chaviano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi @L_Skorwider ,

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge! 

Would you be able to expand on what SAP BASIS is and how it relates to which SAP products?

Would these commands work on R/3 and SAP S/4HANA just the same? 

Are all on-prem systems Linux based?

Hello David,

Thanks. Those commands are not version specific. They are rather general Linux commands, universal for most Linux distributions. More or less unchanged for a dozen or more years and maybe even decades.

I simply chose the commands that I think are most useful in the daily work of a Basis administrator. Of course, where the administrator has access to the operating system, because I know that this is not the case in every company.

There are also commands that are very closely related to SAP, such as sapcontrol, and a video could be prepared about them as well, but there would have to be a bit more demand.

David_Chaviano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@L_Skorwider - would you be interested in joining me on the SAP Learning Insights Podcast to discuss SAP BASIS further?

0 Kudos

We can consider this. 😉 Please contact me via private message. I am always open to sharing knowledge, but it is worth discussing what is needed.

Best regards.