Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Clean ABAP book is here - but should I read Clean Code first ?

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

It feels kind of strange to ask this question, as surely the answer is "it depends" or "do whatever you want", but with this preface, I'll ask anyway:

I am an ABAP developer.

I have the brand new Clean ABAP book available (in German), and also the old classic Clean Code by Robert C. Martin.

Which one should I read (first)?

Why ?

Core of my question: do you think I will somehow benefit from reading Clean Code first, or will I be very fine with "just" reading the Clean ABAP book?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

Well, I started reading Clean ABAP and it gives the answer right away: while with Clean ABAP "only" being the GitHub styleguide, it was always recommended to read Clean Code along with it.

Now that Clean ABAP is a full book by itselfe, that is no longer necessary to get a good, complete picture! (Never hurts to still also read Clean Code, of course!)

5 REPLIES 5

FredericGirod
Active Contributor

Hi Joachim, I don't read these two books, so I am waiting you do it, to give your answer 🙂

My favorite one (for the moment) is "Object-Oriented Design with ABAP".

I think felipe.dimmu23 reads the Clean Code, and a lot of other like these two books. Maybe he could give his point of view 🙂

joachimrees1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Haha, good one frdric.girod ! 🙂

Well I don't have an answer yet, but surely Clean Code is a good read by itself.

Like in Chapter 2 Meaningful Names, Pick One Word per Concept, where he writes:

"A consistant lexicon is a great boon to the programmers who must use your code. "

and I add: it also is for me, when I just KNOW how to name stuff, and don't have to THINK long about it!

FredericGirod
Active Contributor

Naming in Oo is maybe the most complex part for me. I am pretty sure I use 1/4 of the time to rename variable, class, method ... The rename option of Eclipse is a real great help for me 🙂

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

Well, I started reading Clean ABAP and it gives the answer right away: while with Clean ABAP "only" being the GitHub styleguide, it was always recommended to read Clean Code along with it.

Now that Clean ABAP is a full book by itselfe, that is no longer necessary to get a good, complete picture! (Never hurts to still also read Clean Code, of course!)

matt
Active Contributor

Exactly this. My word, it is a good book. I've learned so much. And changed my programming style. I will, however, continue to comment the text of message class messages. It's unlikely to change much.