Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit function module documentation?

peter_langner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

could someone please explain, how I can edit the documentation of my function module? If I click on the name of the function module no doc is show in the properties. I can only edit the description. The element info is empty too. Should it show/edit the documentation?

Thank you for you help in advance,

Peter

Versions: ABAP 7.31 and ADT 2.7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ThFiedler
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

currently there is no possibility to edit the classic documentation in a native eclipse editor directly. You have to use the dynpro-based SAP Script Editor. You can right-click in the editor of the function module to open the SAP GUI editor for function modules and navigate from their to the documentation editor. What we can provide is a short-cut in eclipse to directly navigate to the documentation editor. We do that already in report editor to navigate to text elements.

With AS ABAP 7.4 we invented a completly new way to document your source code artifacts in eclipse. The new way is called ABAP DOC (similar to Java DOC) and is a special kind of comment notation in ABAP to specifiy documentation. If this new way to document your function modules is interesting for you you can read some more details in this document from Michael Schneider:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-40872

Kind Regards,

Thomas

9 REPLIES 9

oiver_beie
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

In SE80 right click on the FM name, choose Other Functions->Documentation->Change

Hope to see you soon again,

Oliver

0 Kudos

Hi Olli,

in SE80 no problem, but how to do it in Eclipse? Any idea?

Peter

0 Kudos

No, sorry, I didn't realize 'eclipse'

schneidermic0
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, you can't use Eclipse to provide documentation to function modules (except ABAP Doc which is available in 7.40). This means, you have to open the SAP GUI by using the context menu entry "Open with > SAP GUI" to add or change documentation to function modules.

Element info also doesn't consider the documentation written in SAP GUI, yet. We would like to add this, but I can't promise when this will be available. 😕

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

in my opinion it would be good to have a possibility to display a documentation which displays the already existing documentation and short cut to jump to the maintanance of the text.

Regards,

Peter

ThFiedler
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

currently there is no possibility to edit the classic documentation in a native eclipse editor directly. You have to use the dynpro-based SAP Script Editor. You can right-click in the editor of the function module to open the SAP GUI editor for function modules and navigate from their to the documentation editor. What we can provide is a short-cut in eclipse to directly navigate to the documentation editor. We do that already in report editor to navigate to text elements.

With AS ABAP 7.4 we invented a completly new way to document your source code artifacts in eclipse. The new way is called ABAP DOC (similar to Java DOC) and is a special kind of comment notation in ABAP to specifiy documentation. If this new way to document your function modules is interesting for you you can read some more details in this document from Michael Schneider:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-40872

Kind Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

could you please tell me where I can find the navigation to text elements in the report editor you mentioned above?

I'm using ADT 2.13 and can't find it.

Best Regards,

Dominik

ThFiedler
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Dominik,

currently this option only works against an AS ABAP 7.4 system. But we are working on a downport to 7.31 release also.

Kind Regards,

Thomas.

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

thank you for your fast answer.

Now I can stop searching

Best Regards,

Dominik