My Most Hilarious Coding Failure
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Killer Cycle

Sandra_Solis
Participant

When I was new to SAP, I wrote my first program. It was supposed to run in a job, not in a dialog screen, and everything seemed perfect. But there was one tiny problem: I forgot to comment out a debugging loop I used to check if everything was okay.

Feeling confident, I asked the client to transport the program to PRD. As soon as they executed the job, it started consuming all the system memory until the entire system collapsed. No one could log in, and everybody was mad and crazy, and I was really calm, because I didn't know what was happening, as I said, I was new. Then, another company was called in to terminate the job and restart the system.

And believe it or not, this happened with two other clients as well. LOL!

Lesson learned: always double-check your code for killer cycles before going live!

Comments
Tomas_Buryanek
Active Contributor

@Sandra_Solis wrote:

...everybody was mad and crazy, and I was really calm, because I didn't know what was happening...

This made me laugh 😁

But then I remember the shock when person realizes it was himself/herself code 😱

Sandra_Solis
Participant

@Tomas_Buryanek I am glad I made you laugh, and yes I was like: the problem is my code? LOL

But thanks to our errors we have fun stories to share 😉