Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting [Save]/[Save All] Performance in Eclipse ADT..?

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This sluggish performance (~30 seconds to save 4 puny ABAP sources) is not "normal", I assume... Single save is not as slow, but is also already "intolerable" in my book.

I switched on SQL Trace in the back-end, and, as far as I could see, DB processing for the 4 sources took about 1.6 seconds, so it must be something else.

I have also tried to do the Windows 10 Defender exclusion list trick https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=548443#c28; I don't think it made any appreciable difference.

Opening a previously unopened Program from Project Explorer is slow as well - the appearance is as if "the thing does nothing" for at least ~3-4 seconds after "locking the UI"... (nothing else can be clicked on for ~3-4 seconds after double-clicking on Program in the Project Explorer ). Subsequent opening of a Program is okayish - i'd even say - "normal".

Does anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?

And how to go about troubleshooting the issues in Eclipse ADT, please..?

Thank you and best regards,
Janis

Eclipse Platform Version: 2020-12 (4.18) Build id: I20201202-1800 OS: Windows 10, v.10.0, x86_64 / win32 Java version: 15.0.1
ABAP Development Tools Version: 3.14.2
SAP_BASIS 740 SP 23
DB6 11.01.0405

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor

Moving Workspace from "network drive" to c:\ was all it was, apparently. Like day and night... 😮

FWIW: https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/enterprise-developer/ed232/Eclipse/GUID-4F9783A4-2BB7-4EC8-...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cheers,
Janis

6 REPLIES 6

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

There are several times ""keine rückmeldung" i.e. "no response", so the issue is your Internet connection. What SAP connection did you define? Maybe an issue with hostname resolution?

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi sandra.rossi, and thank you 🙂

The connection... -- *err* how shall I put it -- it's "from the SAP Logon pad" :).
I did fiddle with the Network settings quite a bit now, tried adding appserver and message server to Eclipse proxy exclusion list... I don't think it's the network problem, honestly. I'm connected via corporate VPN, I can ping appserver, message server and proxy just fine, sub 20ms

I found this, and per 2. got to this:

If only I could interpret it correctly... Is it "everyone waiting for "POST /sap/bc/adt/debugger?..."..? 😮

cheers
Janis

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you tried doing a trace on the back-end. Perhaps an RTA, or an ST05.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's strange that it tries to contact the debugger when you save! Did you set a breakpoint on system programs?

Did it use to work? What did you do since it used to work?

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@matthew.billingham: SQL - nothing extraordinary. Now RFC and HTTP traces and SAT - also nothing that would justify 3-4 second delay.

@sandra.rossi That is probably also "nothing" - maybe "debugger listener" listening for something-something... May be - restarted each 120 seconds.

The green recordings were triggered by Save, the yellow ones, as far as I understand are the "debugger listener" things:

The actual save, when it comes to it, is very quick:

Cheers
Janis

Private_Member_7726
Active Contributor

Moving Workspace from "network drive" to c:\ was all it was, apparently. Like day and night... 😮

FWIW: https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/enterprise-developer/ed232/Eclipse/GUID-4F9783A4-2BB7-4EC8-...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cheers,
Janis