Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tables in HANA / ABAP

marcus_schiffer
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question about the synchronization of tables between ABAP and HANA. When I create an se11 table in my ABAP on HANA trial system, the table is visible in the HANA studio schema SAPHANAABAP.

When I create a table in the HANA studio (same schema) , this table is not visible in the ABAP se11. Are these tables only exposed by procedures that are consumed in ABAP ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sundaresan_k
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Marcus,

The tables and views maintained from ABAP Data Dictionary(SE11) gets created in the SAP<SID> Schema in the underlying HANA DB.

Nevertheless the opposite is not true, i.e when you create a DB artefact in HANA directly in HANA Studio it is not visible as a ABAP DDIC object and hence you cannot consume it in your ABAP code using Open SQL. If you need to consume them you need to use the HANA native artefacts. (I would really do a double check before doing so to verify if this is needed at all)

And this has been the case with any database which lies underneath the ABAP Application Server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sundar

2 REPLIES 2

sundaresan_k
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Marcus,

The tables and views maintained from ABAP Data Dictionary(SE11) gets created in the SAP<SID> Schema in the underlying HANA DB.

Nevertheless the opposite is not true, i.e when you create a DB artefact in HANA directly in HANA Studio it is not visible as a ABAP DDIC object and hence you cannot consume it in your ABAP code using Open SQL. If you need to consume them you need to use the HANA native artefacts. (I would really do a double check before doing so to verify if this is needed at all)

And this has been the case with any database which lies underneath the ABAP Application Server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sundar

padmashree_b
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Marcus,

In addition to this, the SAP<SID> belongs to and is managed by ABAP. So it is always recommended to create the artifacts [such as tables] through ABAP. Avoid creating them directly in HANA [using Studio].

Also, whenever it is required to perform write operations on these tables [in SAP<SID> schema], it is preferred to do so by calling the available APIs in ABAP, again avoid using native SQL/SQLScript.

Kind Regards,

Padma