Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Way of Development

dukejib5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to ask, what is the standard way of development in SAP Landscape.

Currently in our group of companies, all development in done on a SAP Sandbox (with latest data) , once the result is as expected, programs/functions/structures etc are transferred to Dev -> Quality -> Production.

Is this the right way?

when i asked our basis admins , they said that we don't make client copies on Dev Servers, hence no development on Dev, only configuration.

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5

venkateswaran_k
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

The landscape is as same as what you follow: (standard way)

DEV - Development Environment -

Golden Client - (100) - All Functional Configurations / SPRO details etc., (configuration requests)

Development Client (102) - All Workbench requests - ABAP developments - Development and Unit Testing

QAS - Quality ( UAT ) Environment -

UAT client (500) - Functional Consultants and Business users will test here

Basically this client will have the client copy / or environment more or less similar to the Production client

PRD - Production live environment

The Development/changes will go through as above

Regards,

Venkat

FredericGirod
Active Contributor

Has it is a dev system, it could not be called Sandbox.

The logic of your basis admins are strange, just because you will not be able to test your development when it requires customizing. For examples all the print program need to be link to SAP objects (ex NACE trans.).

There are some tool to copy partial data from Prod to Dev to avoid, system or client refresh. Like TDMS

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_tdm40/helpdata/en/d6/aaffd14c0f4e728f2d5c8bb433c803/frameset.htm

or Data Sync Manager

Just ask your admin, why they cannot do a client or system copies in dev system

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It depends, there can be many possible landscapes. We don't know the requirements of your client.

dukejib5
Participant
0 Kudos
frdric.girod

it is not a dev server. it is a sandbox (not in landscape, hence sandbox), client copy of Production Server.

When ever we ask Basis Admin for updated data, they load it up on sandbox (enhancements, custom development ) is done on it and then moved too DEV, which is cumbersome.

For me, it is weird , that we don't use Dev server (200 or 102 or whaterver besides 100-Golden) bu using client copy of prd. That's why i was asking about standards.

FredericGirod
Active Contributor

If it is a Sandbox, it meens you are creating Transport Request from this Sandbox to the Dev system. And in dev system you need to create another transport request to be able to go to the prod.

That meens the original system in the TADIR is outside of the transport route. Could be funny if you have an audit of your system.

It will be fun also to manage customizing generating workbench object : CO-PA, VOFM routine ...

I see a lot of time, Admin system having dogma regarding system. It is worth when then doesn't understand SAP concept. But this is not your responsibility, you have to informe the management about the risk, maybe request an SAP audit of your system. But at the end, this is a management decision