Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO: Synchronise SAP and Active Directory User

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I am opening this thread on behalf of my colleague Manuel regarding SSO and AD Synchronisation.

Can you let me know if it is possible to configure Kerberos/SAP so that when users log into SAP they are still prompted to enter the password (albeit the same as the AD login one). Also we need to know if it is possible to switch users in SAP so that thos users with multiple logins or members of the SAP Operations Support Team can log in as users other than the one logged into AD.

Thanks and regards,

Manuel

9 REPLIES 9

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Christiano,

This feature is not provided with SAP SSO solutions, but I know that at least one SAP partner has capability to provide this functionality. In this case the software on client machine can be configured so that user gets authenticafted using Active Directory account name and password when they logon to SAP each time, instead of using Kerberos credentials from the initial workstation logon (e.g. SSO).

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, this is not possible with Kerberos. However, vendors using a PKI to implement SSO, can be a little bit more flexible and have implemented the functionality of encryption WITH a password. You'll have to contact me off line for pointers, though.

0 Kudos

>

> No, this is not possible with Kerberos. However, vendors using a PKI to implement SSO, can be a little bit more flexible and have implemented the functionality of encryption WITH a password. You'll have to contact me off line for pointers, though.

This is not correct. Our product uses Kerberos and has this exact functionality, e.g. we are able to authenticate the user when they logon to SAP using Active Directory userid and password via Kerberos protocol, and then use these credentials to authenticate the user to the SAP system, instead of using the Kerberos credentials issued during initial workstation domain logon.

This is NOT a feature which is specific to using a PKI. You only mention this because your product requires a PKI.

0 Kudos

@Tim: Unless the OP corrects me, the requirement was for Kerberos with a password (perhaps the OP can explain why he needs this exactly, because this in itself does not make much sense).

That's why I am thinking he meant encryption with a password (I think you were also thinking this in your first reply).

In the post above, you're referring to the Windows password that must be entered during Windows Logon. This has nothing to do with SAP.

0 Kudos

>

> @Tim: Unless the OP corrects me, the requirement was for Kerberos with a password (perhaps the OP can explain why he needs this exactly, because this in itself does not make much sense).

>

> That's why I am thinking he meant encryption with a password (I think you were also thinking this in your first reply).

>

> In the post above, you're referring to the Windows password that must be entered during Windows Logon. This has nothing to do with SAP.

Yes, he wants to use Kerberos with a password. This was/is clear to me, and I was not thinking of anything related to encryption with a password, since Kerberos does not encrypt using a password, but uses symmetric encryption keys which are derived from a password + other information. The requirement stated does not concern this subject, so please lets not discuss something that is not relavent to this thread.

The original question was related to using the Active Directory user accounts password to logon to SAP, by making sure that user is prompted for their userid and password when they logon to SAP, instead of using the credentials already issued during the initial workstation logon. This is how I understood the requirement, and is why I mentioned that partner products are required to meet this exact need.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos

Let's wait for the OP to see what he exactly wants....

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your valuable comments.

All the best,

Cristiano

0 Kudos

All your questions have been answered?

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Sietze,

Thank you for your help in this matter.

My questions have been answered.

Regards,