Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material master selection views for BAPI and BDC

former_member209900
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Recently created BDC for material master change. Hence, it's updated for the particular view as per recording and successfully done.

After my superior advised that it may having the problem since selection view can be changed in future for BDC .

So that BAPI has been created for the same concept of the BDC and it's working fine.

Here, my question has what is the problem to selecting the views in BDC ?

why people are approaching BADI.

Also,in BADI - SALES view has put by default 'X'

In BDC - SALES view has MSICHTAUSW-KZSEL(03) and MSICHTAUSW-KZSEL(04)  captured from our recording.

what is the problem in that ?

Please clarify me

Regards,

Ganapathi Raman P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JL23
Active Contributor

refer to my blog as I explained the issue in detail with screenshots:

6 REPLIES 6

former_member196331
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We should not depend on the views in BDC.

Suppose, in Development Some views may be activated some are not activated,

In Quality and production it may be different,

Your Recording BDC will work in Development but it may not work in Quality or production,

Reasons no body does not know, This is unpredictable. May be material Configuration is different.

So, that the reason, Use Bapi. it will be work.

Regarding MM views also have a look on below posts.

loyd_enochs3
Participant
0 Kudos

As NewB To Abap said above, BDCs are dependent on configuration.  It was always a point of emphasis in my BC420 class that config MUST be complete before data transfer recordings and development begin.  This holds true also for LSMW development  - since it also leans on the "as-is" system in DEV for record layouts and possible entries, plus passing the converted data to a BDC.

If the BDC is moved to QA and/or PRD before the config setting up the view is moved, problems WILL occur.  Normally this is not a problem because the config is done, verified and transported before development related to that changed config is started.  This is the accepted way of doing things.

But there are always exceptions: "why don't we get a head start?" and then forget to check that the planned config change actually was made.  Or that special someone who didn't read the memo (or doesn't understand the process) who made "one last change" to config after the transport was released...... and things get all snarled up because of it.

Coordination with the config teams is crucial to be sure you don't run into these issues.

JL23
Active Contributor

refer to my blog as I explained the issue in detail with screenshots:

0 Kudos

Thanks for clarity.

BAPI is the good option to create/update the material master.

Regards,

Ganapathi Raman P

raghug
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NewB To Abap wrote:

Your Recording BDC will work in Development but it may not work in Quality or production, Reasons no body does not know, This is unpredictable

Loyd Enochs wrote:

If the BDC is moved to QA and/or PRD before the config setting up the view is moved, problems WILL occur. 

Not true... the problem is what views are selected by default. This could be a user to user difference or even the same user on a different day. This is very predictable and can very easily be replicated. Please see Jürgen L's blog post for a full explanation.

Chintu6august
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

BAPI is a SAP PROVIDED RFC function module which allows you to interact with business objects without creating incosistecny

BDC is a method of going screen by screen, for updating SAP data.

BAPIs are generally faster than BDCs  because it is updating the DB "directly".

Whereas BDC with call transaction goes through the whole screen sequence and validation of data then it fills screens fields.

thanks!!