Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to convert file from SAP ECC to EBCDIC Format?

svasi_08
Participant
0 Kudos

we have a Middle layer to convert. now user want to eliminate middle layer and convert the File to EBCDIC Format.

1) Is this possible?

2) Any sample program reference is highly appreciated, thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

The topic is called "character encoding" (see Wikipedia). As you know, everything is made of bytes (binary 0 or 1), characters also need to be encoded as binary. But the value for "A" is different depending on encoding in EBCDIC, UTF-8, ASCII or whatever.

In ABAP, these encodings are named "code pages" (US EBCDIC is code page 0123), and you can use for instance one of these classes: CL_ABAP_CONV_CODEPAGE (>=7.53), CL_ABAP_CODEPAGE (>=7.02), CL_ABAP_CONV_OUT_CE (old), etc.

You can find lots of examples in the forum.

NB: be careful, EBCDIC exists in several flavors (usually by country or language, due to specific characters), so ask your client which one they want.

0 Kudos

Hi Rosi, How are you 🙂 Just thinking how to Tagg you since you are the expert for this 🙂 !!

OK this is for only US Specific.

So I assume its definetly possible to convert File to EBCDIC right?

0 Kudos

Also can you check this link

EBCDIC is 0124 not 0123

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/Character+encoding+conversion

Could you please confirm, thank you.

As I said previously, EBCDIC can be several flavors, 0123, 0124, etc. 0124 is EBCDIC 697/297 reserved to French (accentuated characters), 0123 for US.

Go to SCP to select the EBCDIC code page corresponding to your client instructions.

See Wikipedia to understand EBCDIC.

0 Kudos

I am sorry it didnt notified of your reply, what does SCP stands for? thank you.

You can search the Web. SCP is a transaction code.

SCP code page site:sap.com