Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read xlsx file data from FTP using ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to get files via FTP with an ABAP program. Each file can have different extensions, (.txt, .csv, .xlsx etc.)

When I want to export the excel file to SAP, I get meaningless data.

PK########|G&K{xéÎ####¾#######xl/workbook.xml##KN#A##÷&Ş¡S{éÁ#1###A#6Æ#²/fj##ıJuóĞËx#î€÷²g#¨;7İùëñåÿk4Ş#-¶ÄA9#C¿## [ºJÙU#oóç###!¢­P;K9¼S€qq}5Ú9^/#[##°!#&F?#2####=çɦNíØ`L#W2x&¬BC###Yv/#*#'Â#ÿÃpu­J#ºrcÈÆ##IcLöC£|€bT+M#S"#Ş¿ I¾÷##Æ##*#©Êá.I£?#ŞøÇ#Òmw##@##

I'm using the following code;

REFRESH: lt_blob.
CALL FUNCTION 'FTP_SERVER_TO_R3'
EXPORTING
handle = lv_hdl
fname = <ls_files>-filename
IMPORTING
blob_length = lv_blob_length
TABLES
blob = lt_blob
EXCEPTIONS
tcpip_error = 1
command_error = 2
data_error = 3
OTHERS = 4.

OPEN DATASET lv_filename FOR OUTPUT IN
TEXT MODE ENCODING UTF-8.

LOOP AT lt_blob ASSIGNING FIELD-SYMBOL(<ls_blob>).

CONCATENATE lv_string <ls_blob> INTO lv_string.

ENDLOOP.
IF sy-subrc = 0.

TRANSFER lv_string TO lv_filename.

ENDIF.

How can i make this data meaningful?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

the "meaningless data" seems to be in fact a quite valid XLSX file, as far as I can see (PK being for a zip file, workbook.xml being one of the files of the zip, conforming to the XLSX standard).

2 REPLIES 2

mmcisme1
Active Contributor

Have you seen the various links to abap2xlsx ? This is the ultimate place to get anything Excel. I've used it before and it's worked great. I don't currently have a system to help you out with what you would need to do, but this is really developer friendly. If that's a bit too much work for you project - have you tried CL_BCS_CONVERT=>STRING_TO_SOLIX? This converts binary to a hex format. (One long string) There is a lot of documentation out there - use this search and google:

sap CL_BCS_CONVERT=>STRING_TO_SOLIX

Best of luck,

Michelle

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

the "meaningless data" seems to be in fact a quite valid XLSX file, as far as I can see (PK being for a zip file, workbook.xml being one of the files of the zip, conforming to the XLSX standard).