Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning more than One Roles to Users using eCATT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to know how to create an eCATT scripts that will help to assign more than one Roles to users. I am able to create eCATT script that will assign only single Role to Users but while i am trying to assign any other role it's taking the Previous Role only.. Please help me with this...

Thanks

Tarun Sharma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

Try creating role assignment script using SU10 instead of SU01.

Vanilla SU01 script will always write roles at the fixed position.

Cheers !!

Zaheer

13 REPLIES 13

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

Try creating role assignment script using SU10 instead of SU01.

Vanilla SU01 script will always write roles at the fixed position.

Cheers !!

Zaheer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Zaheer,

I am totally agree with what you said.. But wht if for first user i have to asssign two roles and for users 2nd and 3rd have to assign three and four roles respectively, while doing recording if we assign three roles to a user then it will always ask for three roles due to recording and parametrization. So what i'll do that in that case??

Thanks

Tarun Sharma

0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

Record the script by assigning only one role to the user using SU10 and in your input file you will have something like this

USER1 ROLE1

USER1 ROLE2

USER2 ROLE3....

So each time script will pick up an ID and assign a role to it..

Cheers !!

Zaheer

0 Kudos

Think out of the box. Do not try to do to much in one go.

Create a script that adds one role to one user.

If a user needs three roles just run the script three times for that user.

In inputfile terms that would look like:

USER1 ROLE1

USER2 ROLE1

USER2 ROLE2

USER2 ROLE3

USER3 ROLE1

USER4 ROLE1

USER4 ROLE3

USER5 ROLE1

etc.

Jurjen

0 Kudos

@Jurjen: great mind think alike...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Zaheer and Jurjen....

I appreciate your response.. what you told is right but you can do one more thing record the script with as many as roles you want to assign to users and in your flat file format just mentioned the new role that you want to add to the user its also working..

Anyway thanks alot for your reply...

Thanks

Tarun Sharma

0 Kudos

Welcome..

For the case you mentioned ... you have to record the scenario with the entry where user has max number of roles assigned...

And prepare the input script, in a not so usual manner,

USER1 ROLE1 ROLE2

USER2 ROLE1

USER3 ROLE3, ROLE 4 ROLE5 ROLE6....

Cheers !!

Zaheer

0 Kudos

Thanks Zaheer...

I tried with both the ways that you suggest and the one which i told you, its working very much fine...

once again thank you Very Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Tarun Sharma

0 Kudos

Hi Zaheer

I tried changing the upload file linked to an LSMW script to see if this would also work there too, I seem to recall that we also did this but it's been a few years and I've forgotten the old stuff to remember the new stuff (Homer S style I think).

I'm using the tabular delimiter and tried the comma but it only brings in the first role so I may have to teach myself SECATT if this is more effective but, looking at the transaction helps it appears to be designed just for script testing. Saying that LSMW isn't really meant for the job either

Cheers

David

0 Kudos

LSMW & eCATT's can automate SU10 well but input format is typically:

User1|Role1

User1|Role2

User2|Role1

User2|Role3 etc, etc.

It would be interesting to time a user load using each method. CATT's are my preferred (I find it easier to use) but I reckon LSMW would do it more quickly. SAP provides the tools, we choose which one we use to skin the cat.

0 Kudos

Hi Alex

I've had a quick go at the SECATT option but I'm getting pretty confused so I'll stick with LSMW but I see that SECATT seems to help in testing using variables so that has been a real help.

Kind regards

David

0 Kudos

I can see how it's confusing. It takes a little practice and has the usual SAP "intuitive" design. Basically what you do is "test" SU01 / SU10 with the variables that correspond to the bits of info that you want to load. They way I see it is that there are plenty of tools at our disposal to use in the manner we see fit.

If I ever get round to doing a side-by-side comparison/race between eCATT's and LSMW I will update this post

Cheers

0 Kudos

HI Alex

I'd go for the LSMW (clunky but nice) options looking at the SECATT now, and based on my very basic knowledge of SECATT. I'm happy to wait a few more minutes for the script to assign roles one by one once I'm sure the thing has the correct recording.

Old dogs and new tricks and LSMW has bitten me on the bum enough times to make me damned sure I check those default entries

Cheers

David