Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow positioning of the cursor beyond line end option in Eclipse - ADT

mohit_dev
Contributor
0 Kudos

I wish we had a feature in eclipse ADT like we already have while editing the source code in SAP GUI, i.e. some extra blank lines after the end of the last line, making it easier to check and develop the source code:

SAP GUI

ECLIPSE ADT:

6 REPLIES 6

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No,

but you could reduce the window size if you absolutly want to see the text in a specific place 🙂

mohit_dev
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Fredric for your response. 🙂
I prefer adding some commented lines at the end explicitly, and just removing them after the development is complete. 🙂

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, why "does it make easier" to have the last line shown at the top?

mohit_dev
Contributor
0 Kudos

Not exactly at the top, anywhere near the middle of the screen will do it fine as well
Personal preference maybe, that's what was reported to me by many developers of my previous organization.

Can you think of any reasons, why this feature is already there in GUI?

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Point of order. That eclipse bug report is about positioning the cursor at the end of rows, so that if you have the cursor at a position on one line, and then down arrow, the cursor remains on that column, instead of shifting to the end of the next line (if it's shorter).

But I've been developing for over thirty years, and I've never noticed your issue as a lack. I know everyone has their own preferences, but I really can't see the point.

Anyway, as in the commentary in the eclipse bug report, this looks to me like something that would have to be addressed by the SWT developers. You could raise a bug report/feature request there. It's the same in Eclipse for other language editors.

mohit_dev
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Matthew, for extending the conversation,
I won't explicitly say it as a bug, but if incorporated it has the possibility of becoming a feature. I am not complaining and definitely not making any point. I am enjoying working in Eclipse 🙂

I personally feel that maybe, when someone completes many years in eclipse or any IDE in this regard, then he/she gets used to it and these things don't even matter.

Have a nice day!