cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI vs Connectors (Like JCo and .NET)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm delving into the integration - interoperability aspects of SAP and to be honest I'm getting confused by the 'sales' pitches on the nicely looking presentations.

Clearly XI is seperated from the connectors like JCo and .NET as they operate on the different levels of the 'Netweaver' Model: the former on the Process Integration layer the later on the Application Platform layer.

So there have to be a difference somewhere but I can see it. For me they are doing more or less the same thing ie connecting SAP with third party applications.

So why make a distinction?

And when to use what?

Can someone explain this to me or divert me to a site where I can get clear explanation.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

BV

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bart,

Many may disagree, but the big difference to simple connectors is that XI

is the place where the actual translation of the call context is happening in a

efficient way.

With connectors you still have to go through the steps

of transforming the formatted

information into something that you can send to the next system.

You are writing a translation program. With XI you

have a transformation hub

that has the tools for quick and efficient translation mostly without programming.

There are a few things that you have to mind moving

data between systems. Taking care

of these requirements can either be done programmatically or more efficiently by using

the build in functionality of XI.

In the end one has to make the decision what is the most cost efficient way to implement a project. In the end

it will be the dollar amount that is needed to implement and to maintain an interface that will decide what works best for a project.

FS