cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI/PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

MDM 7.1 SP04

Is XI/PI needed to send data from MDM to SAP? Or can it be done without using XI/PI?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cherie,

yes it is possible to send data with out XI/PI,

only you require to mount the mds inbound and outbound folder and ALE setting at SAP ECC side

but there are some disadvantage with out XI / PI i.e you can not monitor / track of records and some enhancement need to do as per buisness specific

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jignesh,

only you require to mount the mds inbound and outbound folder and ALE setting at SAP ECC side

This is not true, As per my understanding these ALE settings you can do for SAP R/3 systems which are on ABAP Stack. I mean between two SAP R/3 systems but its not possible between MDM and SAP R/3. As MDM does not understand IDOC format, and where will you do ALE settings in MDM.

@ Reinhardt; Is XI/PI needed to send data from MDM to SAP? Or can it be done without using XI/PI?

See in MDM we have two types of Data Reference data and Main table data.

For Reference data, you can send it to MDM without using XI/PI using T-code MDMGX

For Main table data, i think you must need middle-ware like PI/XI who transfers the data, I mean from SAP ECC (IDOC) format structure comes to PI where it will map the XML file structure of MDM and then will send data to MDM in the desired format of XML file. your Scenario will be like this:

SAP ECC(IDOC)>PI>MDM(File Format), where PI is a middle-ware which transfer data in desired format from (IDOC to file) or (File to IDOC). This is the recommended way.

Other Option is there but it is limited not that much vast like JAVA APIs, You can use MDM ABAP API's to create and retrieve data from MDM. You can do most of the operations using ABAP APIs but not everything unlike JAVA APIs.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

in my previous explanation i forgot to mention require to write code at ABAP side,

so ABAP program will pick this file from MDM folder and will post IDOC to ECC

not entire ALE configuration but some part will utilize for e.g. XML port definition, partner profile etc

Note following point

1. Require to write ABAP Program which will pick your file from MDM outbound folder and post to SAP ECC

2. Require to do some technical setting for ABAP program at SAP side, technical person will help regarding this matter

Note : There are many disadvantage and time consuming procss and it is not advisable to go without any intermidiate software for e.g PI, Tibco

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for letting us know PI is not needed. As a result, we have decided to use MessageBroker as our middleware/conversion tool since we already utilize this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reinhardt ,

One option using FTP.

As we are using currently this approach only to reduce TCO.

If you have DEV capacity then you can do using FTP concept also.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reinhardt

For connecting MDM to ECC for masters like Material, vendor, Customer etc Idocs are required, as direct access to SAP tables are not provided/recommended.

we can use PI with std business content which reduces overall development time.

SAP PI/XI is the recommended way. In some cases like flat table updates/ search/prompting for duplicates we can use ABAP APIs or web services also without using PI.

Thanks-Ravi

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

of course, you can go without PI.