cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xi -->webas 6.20: proxy or bapi?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we need to call one or two BAPIs in an R/3system (on WebAs 6.20); i.e. the scenario is: XI --> R/3(6.20).

We are not sure whether we should follow an outside-in approach by generating an ABAP proxy in the R/3 system or have an inside-out approach by using the RFC adapter in XI to call the BAPIs.

Are there any recommendations on what's suited best?

Which approach is "easier" and entails less effort?

As to WebAs 6.20 we heard about the APPINT 200_620 patch and also the recommended use of webas 6.20 kernel patch level 1253.

Are these two items mandatory requirements for proxy generation? Where can I quickly find out, whether the R/3 system has these add-ons installed?

Any help appreciated; thank you very much,

Martin.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185751
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

If the BAPI/RFCs have already been developed in the R/3 then to save some development time you can use RFC adapter. The only problem we faced in the actual production env. was: After scheduled maintenance if the XI system starts before the R/3 starts then the comm. channels using RFC adapter fails to register itself. we solved it simply by starting the R/3 first and then the XI system.

If the BAPI/RFC have not been developed already then you can take the ABAP proxy option. The time you spend creating a BAPI/RFC, you can spend it on creating a ABAP proxy (Consider the developer skills).This option is an adapter less communication option so you have one less adapter to worry about and this is a common scenario for integration of R/3 with XI.

The above is just my opinion.

I think those patches are mandatory. Check in service.sap.com for more details

Regards,

Sridhar

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

>After scheduled maintenance if the XI system starts

>before the R/3 starts then the comm. channels using RFC

>adapter fails to register itself. we solved it simply by

>starting the R/3 first and then the XI system.

have you tried setting the RfcAdapter J2EE service property 'initialRfcClientConnectCheck' from 'true' to 'false' as described in note 730870 (point 20)?

we're having the same problem but I didn't have time to try this solution - maybe you've tried this already?

for us an XI restart is also the only option for now:)

Regards,

michal

former_member185751
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

I was looking out whether any parameterized control was available in the J2EE service and you just gave me an answer.

I will request my BASIS team to test this out today and let you know.

Thank you Very much for the info

Regards,

Sridhar

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no problem Sridhar )

but let us know

regards,

michal

Answers (0)