cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workset hierarchy and roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've done lots of research and tried many things on this forum and can not seem to figure out how to do the following and thus I'm asking the question;

1) I want to have one top level workset on my portal called SALES. All sales people can access this workset.

2) Upon clicking on sales workset a user has two more options; FOODSERVICE SALES and RETAIL SALES. I only want some sales people to see Foodservice and others to see Retail.

3) Within retail sales there are many iviews I want the retail sales people to see. Within foodservice sales there are many other iviews I want them to see. iviews in retail will be different than those in foodservice.

Ok so it seems like a pretty simple drilldown hierarchy to me but I can't get this to work. First I created three worksets.... one called SALES which contains two more worksets; one for RETAIL and one for FOODSERVICE... I then created 3 roles for Sales, Retail and Foodservice. The problem is that anybody with the sales role can then see all of retail and foodservice regardless of wether they have the Retail or Foodservice roles!

How can I REFINE roles in this hierarcial type of way so that all of our Sales users have lots of pretty top level content and can drill down into their respective areas?

Thanks for any help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me consolidate your requirement first.

You have 3 roles->

Sales(Both food service and retail)

Retail,

Food service.

And three different users/groups use these respectively.

Of this is your requirement, users who are assigned with role sales can see both.

If you have no users to have both retail and foodservice, please remove sales role and assign respectively.

You can classify role wise to use but not on workset wise.

Please correct me if i am wrong in your requirement.

Thanks,

Sanjeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I tried to use MERGE ID with no luck so currently I do not have merge ID's.

Sanjeev I think you have understood it correctly. I want any sales associate to login and see a page with all the latest sales news and content. From there they can drilldown into specific content for their foodservice or retail area. So within retail you will have retail specific news and information. And yes we have national sales managers that could see both retail and foodservice and drilldown on either.

I'm unclear how to set this up. I thought I would need 1) A SALES workset area and 2) A Retail sales workset area and 3) A Foodservice Sales workset area. Maybe my mistake is making them worksets? I'm not sure how best to lay this out. Is it possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greg if I give a sales person just Retail then he will see the workset for retail. This is good however he does not see the workset for Sales above it. So I can remedy that by also giving him the Sales role but then he ends up seeing both Foodservice and Retail because I've placed both Foodservice and Retail Roles within the Sales role attemping to get this drilldown affect. I'm stumped.

Thanks for your help!

Greg_Austin
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If I understand what you are trying to achieve correctly...

Create a role with Sales as the name and the id of something like salesRetail that has the retail workset under it.

Create a role with Sales as the name and the id of something like salesFood that has the food service workset under it.

Make sure both roles have the Can be Merged property set you yes.

Set the Entry point for both to yes.

Set the Merge ID to anything, but make it exactly the same for both.

This will give a user with just the salesRetail role a top level navigation Sales, with Retail under it on the second level. Same for salesFood, Sales top level, only Food Service under it.

A user that need both you can assign both roles. They will see only one Sales top level and it will have both Retail and Food Service under it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow I think the way you explained this it's finally making sense to me but I have to go try it now very quickly.... it makes sense if it works however it sounds scary too as I just gave two tiers in my example for simplicity sake but I'm eventually going to have a third tier so I guess more roles that will have to be merged. Interesting... let me try quickly and get back to you. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you I finally got it working. I'm surprised at how it works though as I have to create many many roles now to do what I'm trying to do. I appreciate the help!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Greg_Austin
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Are you using merge ids at all? In your case with the three roles created what does a user with just the retail role see? Sales top and retail under it? If so just don't assign those users the sales roles.