cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workbook Refresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

My company is undergoing an upgrade from BW 3.5 to BI 7.0. I have an issue that I am trying to find a definitive answer for. It involves refreshing of individual queries in a multi-query workbook. I am looking for the same or similar functionality in BEx 3.5 where individual queries in a workbook are refreshed with different input parameters. In other words, how do you get to refresh single query within workbook on demand at any given time. Just one query of our choice without refreshing anything else using BEX 7.0 version.

I have gone through SAP Note 1287179. I get the same results proposed in the note. We are getting a u201CRefresh This Queryu201D option in the context menu. However, this only allows an individual refresh once and without changing the input parameters. Once a query has been refreshed or the workbook has been refreshed, the option to "Refresh This Query" is not there.

In short, I am looking for the same workbook refresh functionality as in BEx 3.5. Does anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Mario

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In workbook settings -

>General tab -

> you need to tick the check box "Allow refresh function for individual queries"

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

We are currently facing this issue....

Here is a note suggested by SAP to resolve this. This looks like a new development from SAP side. Make sure you are on the correct versions both backend and frontend as mentioned in the note.

1849135 - BExAnalyzer: Single Data Provider Refresh Functionality NEW

Regards,

tapas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Someone was able to find a workaround for this issue?

thanks a lot

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As far as I know the refresh functions does not work anymore in 7.0 as it used to work in 3.5. It is possible to refresh a single Query like some colleagues wrote above but once a Query was refreshed it cannot be refreshed one by one anymore but only together with the already refreshed queries.

That's the way how it works in 7.0

Best Regards

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Just to inform you I found the solution on this SAP NOTE.

SAP Note 1425496 - BExAnalyzer: variables are melted incommand VAR_SUBMIT

My MIS has to install a patch on BW and now when we use the MELT_VARIABLES it works perfect...

cheers!

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario

We are having exacly the same problem as you.

We are upgrading and I verified that it is not possible to refresh queries separately in the workbook. Whe I activate several queries, then I will only be able to refresh variables to all of them together. If I choose to veiw all variables separately it can get quise confusing. I am affraid that the end user will be even more unsatisfied with the time, effort and increase of complexity needed to refresh queries that is coming together with this upgrade.

Have you found a solution meanwhile? How have you solved this situation for the end users? Does anyone has a solution for this handicap?

Thanks a lot for any help you may provide

Heloísa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Heloísa,

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution. A workaround could be to limit the number of queries in a workbook but this probably won't be welcome by your users. I haven't explored the tools in BI 7.0 but I think there might a way to refresh a workbook in the background. This could be another workaround.

Regards,

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mario,

To refresh a particular query in a workbook, select any cell in the query output and his refresh button. It will refresh only that query. If you will put the cursor outside of the query result on blank cell and hit refresh, this will refresh all the queries.

Under General tab select "support single data provider refresh".

For avoiding the selection screen every time you refresh, go to workbook setting from BEx toolbar and select process variable on refresh under variable tab.

Regards,

Kams

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys for your input but I know about these options. Like a mention before in BEx 7.0, I do get the "Refresh This Query." However, this feature does do the same refresh feature as in BEx 3.5, ie refresh the query on demand with different input parameters if needed without refreshing the rest of the workbook.

hai_murali_here
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

With 3.x,if you have two queries in a workbook,then clicking Refresh in the toolbox will prompt the message whether to refresh entire workbook or not.

If you want to refresh individual queries then you need to place the cursor on the query and refresh it.

With 7.x,they avoided that message, whether to refresh entire workbook or not.Instead they have given the context menu option to "Refresh This Query" or "Refresh" to refresh the wwhole workbook with the setting of Single DP Refresh in Workbook Settings.

Hope this clarifies you!

Rgds,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario

You have set the Option "refresh Function for individual Queries" and disabled the Opton "Display Duplicate Variables Only Once", right?

If you open the workbook and select the option "Refresh this Query" for one Query, you will be able to refresh this selected Query as often as you like by selecting "Change Variable Values" with new variables.

If you select the Option "Refresh this Query" for a second one in the Workbook, You will always refresh both of the selected Queries and therefore you will be prompted for Values to the Variables of both Queries by selecting "Change Variable Values".

It is not possible to deselect a Query once you selected "refresh this Query".

In this case you have to start with a freshly opened workbook.

Greetings Beat

0 Kudos

Hi

We currently looking at the same problem and have not found a suitable solution. The end-user only wants to update one query at a time without being prompted fore variables from previous refresh query

Have you found a solution ?

Regards

Per

Former Member
0 Kudos

The refresh functionality that you are looking for is not in BEx 7.0. I finally had to contact SAP and get an answer from somebody in Product Development to confirm this.