cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows File Sharing Permission/Access Issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am attempting to apply permissions on a Windows share that is on a server different than the portal.

The system is mounted and the repository is working. But just for myself, the administrator. I only have rights as a base user, that's it. All other users are getting an access denied error. On the log defaulttrace.trc the error is that the portal can't get the system share from the system factory. The error following that is that the portal failed to get the mapping data for the user. That is what I would expect if the user could not "see" the share system.

My question is why? The user has read access to that system. Even at owner, the user still can not use it. I have the Iview set up as a KM navigational iview. The only way I have been able to get users to see information on the share is via system pricipals but, that overides Windows security and they see EVERYTHING.

Has anyone else ran into my situation? I want to a repository based on a Windows share that gives the users rights based on their Windows ID.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

david_pham
Explorer
0 Kudos

You missed the User Mapping part of the configuration.

1. When you created the Windows System in the portal you need to select User Mapping Type: admin,user

2. Then Go to User Adminitration->User Mapping search for index_service user account on the left. On the right select the Windows System you use. Then enter the userid/pwd that have access to the Windows share. When the crawler runs, this is the account it uses to access the file share.

When users execute searches their OWN credentials will be used because the User Mapping Type "admin,user" was previously selected in step 1.

3. Also make sure users have READ access to the KM folders.

Former Member
0 Kudos

btt

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. Have you arrived at any solution ?

I have been looking into SAP Cryptographic libraries, because my portal did not have strong encryption enabled at installation. This is now corrected. I think this problem is related to this, but the problem persists.

regards

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, not yet.

I can only get a connection via ACLSecurityManager. If I go this way I am going to have to create a new file system repository for each share on the network. That is a nightmare, there are scores of shares!

If W2kSecurityManager worked as it should I would not have the problem. I could not get it working in sp2 or sps11.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I have figured it out. As usual first by chance, and then by some clever thinking....

I remebered that I had an access problem some months ago, and that the solution was to grant access to some parts of the repositories to the users in question.

So I gave the everyone group read permission on the whole KM repository ! Quite gutsy, but we are talking development environment here.

And hey presto, the problem is solved !

Then I remebered reading something about this.

Inside my notes from some months back I found a reference to SAP Note 599425 - "Permission for knowledge management repositories".

Why I forgot this I do not know, but this is crucial for correct operations.

In addition it is necessary to add read rights to everyone to other part of the repositories if you create system content in your own structures.

I had a system definition in my own structure without correct rights, and this definition were off limits for the users, resulting in a inaccessible file system repository.

hope this helps,

...if you haven't solved it allready.

regards

Alexander

junmei
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have exactly the same problem over here and the problem could be related to Alexander Moan's solution... no read access to the folder. Now I would like to test his solution by giving read access to everyone:

"So I gave the everyone group read permission on the whole KM repository