cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we need InfoCubes for Planning Applications with BW 7.40 SP8 on HANA?

0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I was wondering why we still need to use InfoCubes in planning applications with BW 7.40 SP8 on HANA?

Searching the web and SCN, I found some interesting articles including the following:

-

-

As far as I understand, with BW 7.40 SP8 on HANA there are no disadvantages of planning on DSO compared to planning on InfoCubes left.

The restriction on the number of key fields was removed, non-cummulative key figures can be used, planning of no aggregation key figures (NO2) is possible, the option 'Characteristic as Key Figure' allows planning of short texts, ...

We also want to use DSOs for planning with BPC 10.1 Unified.

Are there any disadvantages or restrictions of planning on DSO which make it necessary to use InfoCubes for planning scenarios with BPC 10.1 Unified and BW 7.40 SP8 on HANA?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Benjamin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gregor_dieckmann
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

yes, InfoCubes might be still useful and have some advantages if some of the following point are relevant:

- WHM integration: a planning enabled DSO is a 'direct write' DSO, i.e. one cannot use WHM methods to load data; an InfoCube has full WHM integration

- an InfoCube can have audit dimensions, a DSO not

In addition InfoCubes are build around 'delta' delta records, i.e. InfoCubes are insert only, delta records are saved, OLAP cache can get delta updates; one has the technical infrastructure of requests.

A DSO has a key, this means one can only write records will all key fields known (insert, update, delete); this is more time consuming.

Regards,

Gregor

0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

thanks for your fast response.

While the WHM integration is definitively a disadvantage, there might be workarounds for the other issues.

Would it be possible to implement the audit dimension with characteristic relationships for additional characteristics?

Sure, this would not be a 'built-in' feature, but it should work as well.

Due to the timestamp of that 'feature', it would also be possible to create kind of delta records.

What do you think?

Additionally, I was wondering whether there might be any performance issues with planning on DSO compared to InfoCubes?

Does the missing OLAP cache for the delta have reduces the performance of such a scenario?

I want to use DSOs for planning because from my understanding the basic principle of HANA is to work with flat tables.

Sure there are HANA-optimized InfoCubes, but as far as I understood, flat tables as in DSOs result in better performance.

Is this understanding correct?

Regards,

Benjamin

gregor_dieckmann
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

a HANA-optimized InfoCube is almost like a flat table. But the main point is insert-only and delta handling versus having a key. To compute deltas is simple, the key handling and computations of delete, update and insert images for 'save' and after images for 'buffer' reads is more complex.

I expect that an InfoCube has better performance compared to a DSO.

Regards,

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi GREGOR,

CAN you  please explain the line "To compute deltas is simple, the key handling and computations of delete, update and insert images for 'save' and after images for 'buffer' reads is more complex", which you have wrote in your previous comment.

Thanks in Advance,

Vineet.

gregor_dieckmann
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Vineet,

the SDN thread

https://scn.sap.com/thread/3740464

might be helpful to understand what I said above.

Regards,

Gregor

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

very useful information shared in this thread here.

Still I was left wondering if there is any best practice document giving more details on the topic of DSO planning versus InfoCube planning.

Any further information on that topic would be very mutch appreciated, as web searches do not provide any good information on that topic.

Best regards,

Tobias