cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Component can select Multiple values from the List?

former_member197420
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I'm using Dashboards 4.0 SP05. I'm a newbie, i want to select multiple values from the List. Which Component can be used?

For Example: I want to show LOV's (List of values) for Year such as 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. Now, i want to select multiple years to display in Column Chart. Let's say, 2011, 2013.

How do i achieve this using components?

Please note, i dont want to use Prompts.

This is to utilize dashboards more logically.

Thanks in Advance!

-appu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Appu,

There is a number of ways you can do this in a really neat way. By neat I mean simple and efficient.

1. Use the List Builder. I am surprised no one suggested this. The destination of the list builder should be the source of your chart (which has to have the "By Series" data selection and the "Ignore Blank cells" option selected).

Please note that the destination for the list builder (which is the same as the source for the chart) should have the same number of rows as the number of available years.

For example, if you will select 3 years (out of 10 possible) the first 3 rows will be populated. The "Ignore Blank cells" options will make sure that the chart only picks those 10 rows. If you want to select more/less years the chart will adjust accordingly.

2. Check Box. You don't really have to use Check Boxes for this! as charts in Dashboards 4.0 have a new functionality which includes them. Go to the Options Section of your Chart in the Layout tab, scroll down and check Enable Legend and also Enable Hide/Show Chart Series at Run-time. When selected, it allows you to tick which years you want to see. This solves your problem very easily.

Please let me know if you want me to think of other ways of achieving what you need to achieve, as there surely are more.

Also, please do not hesitate to contact me for further assistance and good luck with your Dashboard.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I agree with your point on list builder but it used to take lot of space in canvas.

-SD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

I personally believe it very much depends on the personal preference of the developer and the design of the dashboard. While for a dashboard with a lot of data on it you might argue it takes too much space, I don't see why this this would be a problem when having 1-2 charts on the canvas.

If the List Builder is not suitable, the second option - enabling Enable Hide/Show Chart Series at Run-time (which btw is not = using the Check Box component) - would do.

Appu - have you managed to solve your problem?

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt

You are Right, if the list builder is not suitable, then Using Check box, Hide/show series that is better idea also sap used that one in sample dashboard,

Thank you,

haresh

former_member197420
Participant
0 Kudos

AWESOME!!!

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member197420
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can you Post Screenshots for Check box option?

Thank You.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow these steps:  Go to the Options Section of your Chart in the Layout tab, scroll down and check Enable Legend and also Enable Hide/Show Chart Series at Run-Time.

This basically is the Check Box option done automatically for you. The "manual" way is just wasting your time to achieve the same result, trust me.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos

Hi

You can use Check Box component is one of the best component  to select multiple values.

-SD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Appu;

I think there is no component in SAP dashboards that will offer this functionality, but there are some custom components that will fit into your requirement.

I think this might be helpful...

http://scn.sap.com/message/13735356

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Appu,

I think you need to select multiple options and they need to get refresh every time you make a change. Will it be okay for you to choose multiple selections in a combo box using CTRL key ?

If so, kindly download the add-on from this site : [http://myxcelsius.com/2010/08/31/multi-select-combo-box-xcelsius/].

let me know if it is helpful or not !!!!

Thank You,

Haresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

You can use the for this the 'List box'. With this object you can select more LOV's with ctrl and shift button, too.

Other alternative use Check box for every each year. :-S

I hope this helps!