cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to consume webservice and when to expose web service in SAP ABAP?

priya_ramani
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I'm new to webservices , want to understand when to consume and expose a web service?

i understood from a video that we can generate a web service with the RFC in sap and generate the WSDL file and when we give this WSDL file to any front end system they can consume our web serive and RFC data.

But i'm confused in some video they are showing how to consume the web service in SAP ABAP , like going into SE80 , package , service name etc....

Is web service is used only to expose the SAP DATA via RFC web service to front end systems ?

or we can also consume other front end web services into our SAP ? , if so why we will consume into SAP ?

Can you please explain when we will use these web services expos and consume in real time in a lay man laguage.

Thanks,

Priya.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

A Web service is very generic. Wrapping an existing RFC function module into a SOAP Web service is just one possible solution. It isn't very logic to me to create a RFC function module just to create a Web service. You may create a Web service in a SAP system (so that other systems can consume it) in many ways: ICF service, OData service, creating the interface through SAP PI and implementing it in your SAP system, etc.

A SAP system is not the center of the world. Some data is hosted in other systems, and SAP needs to read or write this data. That's just interfaces between systems.

NB: the name "front-end" is not adequate for Web services. Better talk about client and server, or consumer and provider/publisher.

priya_ramani
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks sandra.rossi

Could you please share any reference for me to understand more.Thanks for correcting me.
Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What don't you understand?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ricky_shaw
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Consume Web Service: It means you will use other web services to get some info into your (ABAP) prog.

Expose Web Service: You need to publish out your web services into the external world to be consumed by other systems.

Your Q : Is web service is used only to expose the SAP DATA via RFC web service to front end systems ?

Answer: NOT only SAP. Even non SAP like JAVA, .NET ..etc other also use web services.

Q : we can also consume other front end web services into our SAP ?

Ans: Yes

if so why we will consume into SAP ? To read data from external applications like Java, .NET or any other web related entities that provide data.

priya_ramani
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks @ricky.shaw

Got some light here.

Could you please share me any document if you have where web services are consumed and exposed?

Thanks,

Priya.