cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between report-filter and block-filter?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

the more I try and test, the more question occur. Today, I found a difference between using the same filter (by controls) on report and on block level.

Again, I have a two DP from an Excel file, merged on customer-id and employee-id. Here you can see the structure and content of the DP, no filters applied:

The measure variable is not relevant (I guess), it was a detail before, causing very strange and unexpected results. May be part of later discussion.

The left and middle table were auto-generated from the DP. I have activated the options to show empty dimensions and not aggregate and deactivated the extended merge option in the settings.

Now, my expectation is that the displayed content of table/block 1 (DP1) is not at all affected by any filter I define for object [Tab] of DP2.

And secondly: if something changes (because of the merge), the same change should happen if the filter is applied to the report or to all blocks of the report.

I have created 2 controls to filter for [Tab]="A". The first (Tab - Report 1) is applied to the report level, while the second (Tab - all blocks) affects only all three blocks at the lower level. When applied on report level, I get all data from the table - compared to a left join on [Emp Id], which is dimension used in the merge:

But when applied on block level, I only get a value for each [Emp Id] that is also contained in DP2 where [Tab] = "A":

Can anyone please explain why this happens? What did I miss?

In a nutshell:

a) Why does selecting all blocks differ from selecting the report as target (and thus auto-selecting all contained blocks). Is there more to it than just affecting all contained blocks?

b) Why does the merge affect the first block that only shows data from DP1? When I unmerge, all rows are displayed, again.

BR

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mhmohammed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Quick question: Why didn't you merge Emp ID and Cust ID? Would you please try doing that and see what happens when you bring all columns in one table as you have in the first screen shot? Obviously use the measure for Tab Det.

Thanks,
Mahboob Mohammed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahboob,

thank you very much for your quick reply!!

I am not sure I understand correctly. Why I did or didn't merge Emp ID and Cust ID? I thought I have done so (according to the screenshot), didn't I?

What do you mean by brining al columns in one table?

Actually, this report is a kind of thought-experiment for me to understand the way how filters on different levels (document, report, block) work and how they differ. If it helps, I can create another mixed table like the third one - if you tell me which columns you'd like to be contained. All will not work, due to #datasync and #context.

But please note that the intention in this case was to strictly separate the objects of each DP in its own table and see, whether a filter on an object of DP2 affects DP1. It obviously does, but I don't know why.

Best regards

Michael

mhmohammed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

My bad, I intended to ask, why didn't you merge the Names? Can you try doing that?

Also, check this out:

Thanks,

Mahboob Mohammed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahboob,

I can try that, tomorrow.

I did not merge the names yet, because I wanted to keep the scenario as simple as possible. Currently, I would assume that merging on names should also not affect the first table, as long as I use only the [Emp Name] object in it. But since the first merge already seems to affect the table, which I didn't expect either, the merge test makes sense.

I know a similar post about joining 3 data-providers, where 2 are not compatible. But I think that goes off-topic from this thread. Because I have only 2 data-providers and the problem is filtering a table that contains only data from one data-provider.

Kind regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have merged the name-dimensions, too. There is no change compared to the original post. When filtering on report level, I see all entries from DP1. But when applying the same filter directly to all tables, I get only 2 rows.

Can you, or anyone, reproduce the issue, using equal Excel data providers?

I would like to exclude the case that Excel data-provoders behave different in our environment, like already seen in my other thread

Any help is highly appreciated!

BR

Michael