cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the correct syntax for applying exclusion of a text hierarchy node using the setFilterExt() method?

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to exclude a text hierarchy node with the data source setFilterExt() method as per the Input String syntax rules described below:

I had assumed I could combine the exclusion operator '!' with the text hierarchy node syntax described above, applying a similar approach to that described in this response to Apply Exclusive Filter.  Listed below is the syntax I have applied:

DS_2.setFilterExt("ZAIRLINID", "!+ZAI_AIRLINE_GROUP_01(0HIER_NODE)");

However, this results in the following warning message:

On the other hand, if I script for inclusion as follows:

DS_2.setFilterExt("ZAIRLINID", "+ZAI_AIRLINE_GROUP_01(0HIER_NODE)");

the filter works as expected and shows only the specified node.  This suggests to me that I have defined the correct text hierarchy node syntax

but the exclusion operator is not right.

Any ideas about the correct approach would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mustafa.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member193885
Contributor
0 Kudos

Mustafa,

I am not sure whether Exclusion is possible with hierarchies.  I could not see this option available in Query Designer and BEx 3.X runtime for hierarchies were as regular characterisctis have them availalble, 

I also found the wiki entry below which might be applicable for DS also as DS and 7.X RT uses BICS.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BI/It+is+not+possible+to+exclude+a+hierarchy+node+in+BEx+Analyz...

Deepu

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepu,

Thanks for the follow-up.  The Wiki article relates to BEx Analyzer but in BEx Query Designer it is definitely possible to apply a hierarchy node exclusion in the filter as shown below:

Therefore, I was expecting this to be available with the data source SetFilter() script API method as well.

Regards,

Mustafa.

former_member193885
Contributor
0 Kudos

Mustafa,

Looks like the exclusion option is available only in the Characteristic restriction section of QD and not in Default Values section of QD. This probably means that exclusion is not available at runtime and using filter selection and available only in design time.

There are also bunch of notes which suggests that exclusion is not an option in BEx Web 7.X and BEx Analyzer 7.X, if it is not available in those time I doubt this will be available for DS.

Deepu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

IngoH
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mustafa,

simply define the HIerarchy node variable in the BEx query and make it an "exclusion" variable in the query designer.

then just pass in the value and you should be good

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am specifically looking for a solution that excludes hierarchy nodes with the setFilterExt() method because I want to avoid the use of BEx variables.  There is nothing in the Design Studio API documentation to suggest that exclusion of hierarchy nodes with setFilterExt() is not supported, so I was hoping to determine the correct syntax accordingly.

Regards,

Mustafa.

xjhacking
Contributor
0 Kudos

Mustafa, did you find a solution/workaround for this?

/Xavier

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Xavier,

I never did find a solution explicitly using setFilterExt().  I guess the workaround would be to use a BEx Hierarchy Node Variable as Ingo has suggested above.

Let me know if you do get the setFilterExt() option to work somehow though

Thanks,

Mustafa.

IngoH
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mustafa,

excluding a hierarchy node using the setFilterExt is not possible so far.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the confirmation, Ingo.