cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webi connecting to Access database

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to be able to connect a universe to an Access database that is stored on a shared network drive.

Even when i try to move the efashion sample database from the samples folder onto the network drive i get connection problems.

Desginer works fine and so does full client, yet when i try and refresh a webi report it does not work.

I am using Xir2 sp2 and i have an Access 2007 database.

i have read lots on all forums relating to odbc and the access driver, but nothing i seem to try works.

At present i have to copy the database from the network drive to the sample directory on the webi server in order to refresh the data.

I have all the necessary network privileges and the webi server can see the network drive ok.

Can anyone shed any light?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

This should work. What error are you getting?

What account is the WebI Processing service running under - does that account have access to the network drive.

Also is the Access connection secured?

Regards

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I get the following error message;

Query 1 - eFashion

Database error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.. Contact your Business Objects administrator or database supplier for more information. (Error: WIS 10901)

The universe has got a secured connection and all users have access to the Universe Connection within the CMS.

The BO software has been installed under a generic BO account, i take it this account needs to have access to teh network drive where the access database is stored?

Former Member
0 Kudos

By default the BO services will run as LocalSystem. You will need to ensure that they are running under an account that can see the path. Also don't use mapped network drive in the path, use UNC path

Regards

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will get the Network guys to check the permissions for LocalSystem.

I have used a network drive, which i will now change.

Thank you for responses.

I will update when I have tried your suggestions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I now get a different error.

The Microsoft Jet Database engine cannot open file '(unknown'). It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

This is on efashion.

Can i add the user LocalSystem to the security tab so it has permissions to read the file?

Former Member
0 Kudos

As a test you might grant everyone read/write permission to the folder. If that works you no its an account issue.

Can I ask how you setup the connection. Is it through ODBC, fi so what happens when you test the driver from the BO server?

Regards

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I connect via ODBC and have set up a System DSN for the database.

In ODBC manager you can not test the ODBC.

In designer it works fine and in full client when run on the server itself, its just i try and refresh a webi report against the database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried changing the account the WebI server runs under - to be the same as the one when you are logging in to the server. That would be my next step. It should work as you will definitely have permissions

Regards

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can i do this? Is this in the CMC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No it is in the CCM. You will need to stop the service. Then change the properties.

Regards

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

SHould i just be changing the WebIntelligence servers or would i have to change all the servers?

Can i just say thank you for all your replies. you have been a great help. I had noticed you have replied to me other post regarding Source components, that i will no doubt come back to you on.

Regards,

Anthony

Former Member
0 Kudos

The WebI Report/Processing service should be enough.

No problem with the help - I find it a good way of learning things

Regards

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well Alan you are a star.

I changed just the Webi servers and made them run under my account and I can now refresh the data from the access database across the network.

Thank you so much.

Anthony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great news. The only thing to do now is to define an account for WebI to run under normally.

Regards

Alan

Answers (0)