Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web controls

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: Sergey

CA Forum: .NET

I have an enterprise ASP.NET (Framework 2.0) web application. Also I have a BusinessObjects XI Release2 deployed on another server.I would like to implement seamless integration between my web application and BusinessObjects, i.e. embed reports viewing and designing features into my ASP.NET application. I decided that WebIntelligence is the most appropriate in my case.In other words, I want users to be able to create reports based on existing universes, save them (reports), run them and view results. And all that workflow must take place inside the ASP.NET application UI. So, I have a question: what web controls should I use for viewing and designing Webi reports?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: Ted Ueda

There were client-side javascript issues with viewing Web Intelligence documents with openDocument.aspx within an IFrame, so I'd recommend applying latest service packs to your Enterprise.The Java Report Panel SaveAs functions by posting back to a page that allows a user to select the save parameters (name, folder, etc), which then writes back to a javascript in the Java Report Panel HTML page to trigger the actual save from the applet. So you can alter where the SaveAs postback is going, to use a custom page. Inside the applet lauch page, you'd see the javascript that needs to be triggered. Look for javascript method 'function saveDocument'.Sincerely, Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ted,

We are doing the same thing in R3 (installed sp3 web tier in the machine and copied the webiapplet folder). Able to create and run the reports but save errors out. It does not goto the custom save page. We are trying the sample application downloaded from the sdk samples page (.NET).

Is there any fix pack or something that needs to be applied. Looking for suggestions to fix the same.

Thanks,

Yuvaraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: Sergey

Thanks a lot for the exhaustive explanation!The sample you mentioned seems to be very helpful.But I think there is an easier way of implementing Webi report viewing: using the following page:BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5Web ContentEnterprise115InfoViewscriptsopenDocument.aspxIt has wide opportunities for customization trough URL parameters and it is supposed for usage from external applications. Therewith you don't need to copy a part of InfoView source code to your application.Here is a complete reference of its features: How to use the openDocument URL command. I use this page to open reports in IFRAME html tag and reports look like thay are embedded in my ASP.NET application. As for report creation/editing, I suppose that Java Report Panel applet (ThinCadenza.jar) is not intended for using from anywhere except InfoView.When I attempted to use it in my ASP.NET application, I copyed it into my application's directory and put it to a page. Then I encountered with a problem: when user clicks Save button, a "save report page" (from InfoView) is opened in a separate model window. But I don't want users to see standard "save report page", because according our security agreements users are not allowed to view the whole hierarchy of folders. Moreover, users don't have to choose a destination folder at all: the application should make a selection itself. So, I would like to customize report saving process, but I don't see any proper ways. Webi applet considers the "save report page" located at Business Objects server, and it always adds a name of the server before the url. That is why it is impossible to specify URL to a "save report page" which is located not at Business Objects server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: Ted Ueda

Implementing a Web Intelligence viewer is quite involved - I recommend referencing the documentation for RE.NET, and the sample code here:http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2SP2/en/en/RE_SDK/resdk_dotnet_ieditIntegr_sample/default.htmfor the interactive viewer. For full Web Intelligence creation, you'd need to have your application launch the Web Intelligence Java Report Panel applet that will connect back to your server, where you'd have the CDZ Isapi filter for Web Intelligence installed. For this, I'd refer to .NET InfoView code - in particular the code webi_applet.aspx and webi_applet.aspx.cs found by default at:<install>\BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5\Web Content\Enterprise115\InfoView\WebiSincerely,Ted Ueda