cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VS2008 32 and 64 bit issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have searched the internet and got nowhere fast

I am writing software in Visual Studio 2005 wirh integrated Crystal Reports, this deploys and works on most windows operating systems.

My new customer is using windows server 2008 and the software would not install - after much looking I found that I needed to upgrade my visual studio to 2008.

I am using a 32 bit computer to write and complile my software - this pc is now using Visual Studio 2008 with integrated crystal reports - when I compile and install on a 64bit windows server 2008 pc - it will not run.

I have tried the following:-

Setting compile mode to 64bit.

installing the CR Redist 2008 before and after installing the software.

Not sure where to go from here, any help will be gratefully recieved

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You haven't posted enough information. Which version of Crystal Reports are you using with VS2008? Is it the bundled edition that ships with VS2008? Or did you purchase stand alone Crystal Reports 2008 and install it as well?

The bundled edition - CR Basic - isn't deployed using the CR 2008 Redist.

Once you've clarified what you're actually using someone may have some suggestions.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

PS: Moved thread to the .NET - SAP Crystal Reports forum. VS.NET questions are not covered in the Legacy forum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry,

I am using the crystal reports that comes with VS2008 - I believe it is version 10.5.

Thanks

saurabh_pathak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can take a look at [Crystal Reports Support of 64-bit Operating Systems|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/index?rid=/library/uuid/10d5fa88-2013-2c10-c9a5-f11963607d4e]

Thanks,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been using VS2005 with CR 10.2 (comes with VS2005) and installing on computers with 32bit operating systems with no problems at all.

I now need to install this software on a 64 bit machine. I read that CR 10.2 that comes with VS2005 will not install on a 64 bit operating system, so I have now downloaded the trial of VS2008 which comes with CR 10.5 (I believe).

When I compile the software and install it on a 64 bit operating system (Windows Server 2008) it installs fine (I tried with and without the CR merge module included) I also tried installing the CR Redist 2008 before and after installing the software.

It installs fine with no errors BUT when I run the software and try to open a report, I get the following error - I have spent several days looking for a solution and tried several suggestions but nothing seems to work!

Error Message

An error occured while attempting to load the Crysyal Reports runtime.

Either the Crystal Reports registry key permissions are insufficient or the Crystal Reports runtime is not installed correctly.

Please install the appropriate Crystal Reports redistributable (CRRedist*.msi) containing the correct version of the Crystal Reports runtime (x86,x64x or Itanium) required. Please go to http://businessobjects.com/support for more information.

Please Help

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Julia,

Lets back up a bit. Your understanding of deploying a VS2005 application onto a 64 bit machine is incorrect. You can deploy our 32 bit runtimes onto a 64 bit server. The only thing you should have to adjust is how you compile your application. Visual Studio projects default to "Any CPU" mode for the target CPU. You need to change this setting to force it to 32 bit mode by specifically setting the target CPU to the "x86" option. You can see SAP [Knowledge Base Article 1200907|https://bosap-support.wdf.sap.corp/sap/support/notes/1200907] - "Error: '...occurred while attempting to load the Crystal Reports runtime...' when running a CR XI Release 2 or CR 2008 .NET application on a 64 bit OS". While this article is written for CR XI R2 (v11.5) and CR2008 (v12.x) the issue is exactly the same for any version of our product when installing the 32 bit runtimes onto a 64 bit machine.

You can explore deploying your VS2005 / bundled CR application. If you run into any issues trying the VS2005 path please create a new thread for your new question(s).

You need to follow similar steps when you try to deploy a VS2008 / CR Basic (v10.5) application. You have two options - deploying it as a 32 bit application, or deploying it as a 64 bit application. Based on this decision you then target the appropriate CPU before compiling or deploying your application. Choose "x86" for a 32 bit deployment or "x64" for a 64 bit deployment. Based on this selection you then choose the appropriate runtime deployment package for your application. Use "CRRedist2008_x86.msi (BootStrapper)" for a 32 bit deployment, or use "CRRedist2008_x64.msi (64 bit Intel)" for a 64 bit deployment.

Here's the link to the Runtime Distribution Wiki again for reference:

[Crystal Reports v. 9.1 to 12.x VS .NET Runtime Distribution & Supported Operating Systems|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56787567]

With either version of your application (VS2005 or VS2008) the key is to change the CPU target to match the target machine. Do not leave the target CPU set to "Any CPU".

I hope this helps!

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, you have been really helpful.

I have installed and run it on my 64 bit Windows Server 2008, and most of my reports are working fine.

I do have two reports however that keep asking for security information - any ideas why??

I use the same functionality to set up all reports so cannot really understand why these teo do not work.

Thanks again for your help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julia,

Glad to hear you've gotten the deployment issue resolved. By security information do you mean database logon information? Since you marked this thread as answered you probably want to start a new thread with your security/database logon question. Be sure to add a full description of what you're seeing. Is it prompting for logon? Is it a looping logon? What is the database connection type? OLE DB? ODBC? What is the database? Have you confirmed that the reports are working on your VS2008 development machine? Is there a Microsoft dependency that is missing?

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Answers (0)