cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vs.net 2005 and sql server named instance problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a report that runs with no problems in visual studio.net with a sql server 2005 database unnamed instance. But when I try to use a named instance (LLCA1-ITE51218\SS2K5) the login fails.

I specify all the parameters to the TableLogOnInfo class, but the logon fails when I set the

Location property of the TableLogonInfo object. I specify the non-named instance, and it runs with no problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, Mark

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

please try to use the embedded designer in VS or the full CR designer.

Can you use the database with the named instance properly and preview the report ?

Thanks

Falk

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark

Did you ever solve this? I'm having exactly the same problem with CR in VS2008 and a named instance of SQL 2005.

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, the Location property is for setting the qualified table name. Often it simply holds the table name without the qualified location. If that's not changing, you shouldn't have to touch it. If it is changing, make sure that the database user you're logging on with has sufficient access to see that table in that location.

Is the error thrown when setting the Location property or when calling ApplyLogOnInfo? Try setting the Location property after calling ApplyLogOnInfo, if you're not already.

Are you setting the logon information on the ReportDocument or the CrystalReportViewer object?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could also test the connection using a UDL file. This would probably be your best option if you don't have VS or the report designer on the machine in question, but even if you do, it would determine whether you can connect to the database, independent of the CR runtimes, from that machine.

Also - is your named instance on a non-default port? You would have to specify that. I generally set up an entry in the SQL Server Client Network Utility to make things easier (type "cliconfg" without the quotes from the Run dialog).

former_member203619
Contributor
0 Kudos

I would recommend creating a report off of the named instance using the regular report designer, and then look at the location and other report properties to see what values you should be passing in.

Regards,

Shawn