cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variants in Web Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a way displaying a list of variants that are available on a particular query/view in a BW Web report?

I would like to create variants for each of the users different report options, and allow them to select which one they would like to look at by selecting them from a drop down list.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or if there is a better solution to this??

I am using BW3.5

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards

Richard

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

I think you can do this by storing the user information and the corresponding option in a table and access this table by using Customer Exit and display the details or you can also create Variants for different user and in Customer exit check whether the current user is authorized to use that variant or not.

Hope this helps.Please grant points if this helps.

Regards,

Ashish

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

It is possible to enhance the URL with an existing variant by adding <b>&variant=variantname</b> to the end of the URL.

This brings up the variable selection screen with the values stored in the variant…the user can then add values for more selections or change the displayed ones.

Of course this brings us only half the way because you can work only with the existing variants and cannot save new ones. Also it assumes that the user knows the exact name of the variant as the entire list of variants is not displayed. Still in the absence of any other "standard" variant functionality, it is a workaround…

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys, thanks very much for getting back to me.

I am aware that you can enhance a url by adding "variant=...", however this means that I would then have to maintain a list of links somewhere, which would then need to be updated each time a new variant was created. This obviously adds to the maintenance, and so I am very hesitant to go down this path.

Ashish:

Could you elaborate a little bit on the methods you propose please (sorry, am a bit new to customer exits, and BW in general)

What I want to do is use transaction rsrt to set up some variants.

I would then want the user to able to select which variant they want to run the query for (as you can do in BEX-excel).

Ideally this would be available on the variables screen, or even on the report itself (eg. a drop down list at the top of the report, and when you select a variant from the list it would run for those parameters...)

Thanks again for your help guys.

Regards

Rich