cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using variables to define the header of the layout

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to build a layout using time variable as the data coloumn and the product quantity as the head coloumn.

On the planning area I created a variable (name: ZFISCPER) with characteristics Fiscal Year/period (0FISCPER).

I set 001.2007 on the selection of this variable.

On the layout builder's second page, I defined the data coloumn as follows:

1. Heading: ZFISCPER, Key Figure ZMSL, Variable mode on, Fiscal Year/Period: ZFISCPER

2. Heading: ZFISCPER1, Key Figure ZMSL, Variable mode on, Fiscal Year/Period: ZFISCPER1

12. Heading: ZFISCPER11, Key Figure ZMSL, Variable mode on, Fiscal Year/Period: ZFISCPER11

and then I tried to run this layout, but I always get the same error message:

"The environment has changed; the layout can no longer be executed"

While if I used normal Heading and Fiscal Year/Period such as:

Heading January 2007, Key Figure ZMSL, Variable mode off, Fiscal Year Period 001.2007

then the layout works.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

Greetz,

Fen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fen,

Why don't you define a variable for ZFISCPER 001.2007-012.2007 and use 0fiscper in the data column as dynamic?

Or if you have some periods of Actuals and some periods of forecast/Plan, definite 2 variables ZFPERACT say 001.2007-003.2007 and ZFPERFST 004.2007-012.2007 and have 2 lines in the definition of data columns with Actual / comparable line using variable ZFPERACT and open forecast periods using say ZFPERFST..

Hope this helps,

Mary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats a good point Mary, especially if the errors are coming about from the syntax of the column headings rather than the data definition (- I can't recall ever trying to generate the actual column headings with a variable name and offset!)

Most implementations I've worked on have gone with the second option you describe with dynamic column sets for plan and actual, though we typically use exit variables to determine the open and closed period ranges based on a third variable for the current period.

If you haven't created dynamic olumns before you'll find the option hidden on the first page of layout config as one of the 'advanced' options that you need to press the expand button to reveal.

Cheers,

Andrew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mary and Andrew,

I did try to put that as a dynamic coloumn, but somehow I cannot find the 0fiscper (fiscal year/period) on the option for dynamic coloumn. Instead I am getting posting period (0fiscper3) only.

Do you guys know what causes this problem and how can I proceed further?

Thanks a lot!

Former Member
0 Kudos

that problem seems familiar, it may be that you need to set a value for the characteristic "Fisc Year VARIANT" (0FISCVAR) on you planning level definition before it will appear as an option for dynamic column

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

I do not really understand what you mean by set a value for the charactersistics 0FISCVAR on my planning level definition.

However, I manage to solve the problem, appearently the selection of data in the variable is too big that I have to restrict my fiscal year variant.

However, I still need the dynamics for later planning purpose, so can you please clarify what you mean?

Thanks a lot Andrew!

Fen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what you're asking now - That's all I meant in the last reply, I specifically said you would need to restrict fiscal year variant because without specifying that in the planning level the variable value of fisc year/period ay be ambiguous. (maybe I got the technical name wrong, just writing from memory, I thought the tech name for fiscal year variant was something like 0fiscvar - sorry if that confused you)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Andrew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Oh, god, I don't use the variable and offset for the period anymore unless I need something very specific since I tend to do dynamic. But I remember being told to use variable and offset on my first or 2nd BPS project back in 2001-2002 on SEM-BPS 3.0b on BW 2.1C. I suspect that they started with SEM-BPS 1.2 or SEM-BPS 2.0B which likely did not have the dynamic column functionality at that time.

Yes, I would specify a single variable current period to drive variable exits to determine the actual periods and forecast periods. But I though I should explain the dynamic column first before going into the variable exits.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The first thing to check is that your Variable assignment is set properly, is it a simple fixed value variable? If user defined you might want to set and save a value as you may get that error when then variable value is initial or unassigned.

Second thing to check is that all your configuration has been saved properly before you execute the layout? Are you executing from BPS) or a folder/web application? I'd recommend doing your initial testing from BPS0 until you get it working.

The next thing you need to do is work out if it is the the use of the variable for the column headings or the use of the variable for the column values that is causing the problem, so try setting the layout with fixed text "Column 1", "Column 2" as the column headings but with variables switched on and data resticted to ZFISCPER and ZFISCPER + 1 - if that works then there is just a weird syntax problem with the way you are utilizing the variable for the column heading - that's quite common, sometimes you just need to copy the variable name from the restriction field and paste it into the heading field before it will properly recognize it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Andrew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fen,

It should work as expected by following the steps you mentioned.Make sure in your level Fiscal Year/Period isn't restricted by ZFISCPER.What version of BPS are you using ? Did you say you have Product Quantity as your header or lead column, is that a key figure or characteristic ?

Cheers

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

Thanks for the help.

But I got a bit confused here since on the other forum I read that I have to restrict the Fiscal Year/Period in my level and package.

My Product Quantity I have it in my lead coloumn and it is a characteristics.

My key figure is quantity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fen,

Some people plan by posting period and fiscal year and have characteristic relationship to derive Fiscal Year / Period and some plan directly in Fiscal year period (and good to derive fiscal year and posting period from the fiscal year period by characteristic relationsihp). If you intend to go to rolling forecast in the future, you tend to plan on fiscal year period or fiscal year period and fiscal year.

Most of the time characteristics are compounded with fiscal year variant and if you have only 1 fiscal year variant, you tend to set it to the constant i.e. K4 in your planning level. To restict package size, you tend to restrict by a variable on fiscal year or another variable for the full fiscal year period range you need for your planning.

Hope this helps,

Mary