cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the new barcode function in Crystal 2008

nancy_budd
Participant
0 Kudos

We have fields (alphanumeric, special characters, etc.) in our reports that can print with either barcode 39 or barcode 128 symbology depending on what is chosen. These reports were written in earlier versions of Crystal Reports using Azalea's Barcode39-HalfInch-Regular and BarCode128-WideTT-Regular fonts. We are now upgrading our reports and would like to take advantage of the new Change to Barcode functionality in Crystal 2008.

We have purchased the latest Code128 Toolset from Azalea. And, we want to use the barcode 39 fonts that come with Crystal 2008.

I have placed a field on the report. I right click and select Change to Barcode. The following items are listed under the 'Select the desired barcode type:'

Code 128, Codeset A

Code 128, Codeset B

Code 128, Codeset C

Code 39

Code 39 Full ASCII

Code 128 UCC/EAN-128

Code 128 UCC-SSCC

When I select Code 39, the font assigned is Code39AzaleaWide2

When I select Code 128, Codeset B, the font assigned is Code128Wide

My questions are:

1. how do I know which barcode type to select:

2. Do I need to use the font assigned when I selected 'Change to Barcode", or can I select a corresponding Code 39 font (such as Code39Azalea) or Code 128 font (such as Code128VeryWide). Am I limited, or can I select any of the fonts?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nancy_budd
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you.

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Nancy,

Crystal Reports is a tool designed to meet your business needs and I think the main question should be: What font do you need? Barcode fonts are different in terms of business implementation, see [http://www.azalea.com/WhitePapers/WhichBarCodeDoINeed.pdf]

To answer your second question, I do not think you are limited. If Crystal Reports offers you to make a choice, then it is your choice.

If it is migrated report, then I would select the font which is closest to the original one.

To see the difference between Code 39 and Code 128, please look at the second page of the following document:

[http://www.azalea.com/WhitePapers/WhatKindOfBarcodeIsThis.pdf]

nancy_budd
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

We want to continue using Code39 and Code128 barcodes. I will need to determine which new fonts closely resemble our older fonts.

I guess my confusion/questions are due to the options I am seeing in the 'Change to Barcode' function.

I knew Code 39 came with Crystal 2008, so seeing the Code 39 and Code 39 Full ASCII options in the 'Change to Barcode' function made sense. However, I was not expecting to see any Code 128 options under the 'Change to Barcode' function. I was expecting to have to create a formula within the Crystal report as in the past. Is Crystal 2008 picking the Code 128 options up because we have purchased (and installed) the Azalea Code128 Toolset?

The other question I have relates to selecting the type of barcode option in 'Change to Barcode' function. The field is converted to a barcode, and a default font assigned to the field. If I change this font to another corresponding font for the barcode type, it doesn't affect the field? Is it my understanding that the 'Change to barcode' function merely 'wraps' the Azalea barcode function around the field, and then we are free to choose the exact barcode font and size we want to display for that barcoded field?

Thanks again.

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I think you are right, because I do not see Code 128 options on my machine with CR 2008 as I do not have Azalea Code128 Toolset.

and

The barcode font you selected does not affect the original field value.