Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the browser to access the barcode scanner on Zebra devices

Joel_John
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Is there a way to listen to scan events on the Zebra TC26 when the Fiori app is running in the browser? I have already tried loading the barcode API libraries, but they expect a scanned barcode as soon as I load them in the app and run into syntax errors. I think it is probably an issue with the sequence of events, but there is not much information available on this online.

If there is anyone with experience with this scenario, you help is much appreciated.

We considered Enterprise Browser as well, but we have the same syntax error there.

We had a Custom Fiori client on a different device, but since the SDK is not supported from next year, we are looking for an alternative as well as upgrading the hardware.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Joel_John
Explorer
0 Kudos

I found the answer is to use the Enterprise Browser on Zebra devices. The EB API provides a way to listen to scan events. Take care when using this mechanism though because there are two frames on the FLP. EB API always calls the callback function on the parent frame and looks for the global variables there. When initializing the app. assign the global EB/ Rho variables to the parent context as well.

It was a little tricky to get it all working together.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you asked about the correct device? TC26 doesn't seem to have a laser barcode scanner. Have you checked https://techdocs.zebra.com/enterprise-browser/3-2/guide/about/ which at least mentions UI5. Maybe you reach out to Zebra and ask about that.

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to the website TC21/TC26 TOUCH COMPUTER this is a smartphone like device with a camera. So I would suggest you read Batteries included: SAPUI5 Barcode Scanner

Joel_John
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, thank you for your answer.

But I'm trying to use the barcode scanner/imager at the top of the device, not the camera.

In real-world scenarios, pointing the scanner and using the laser to read barcodes is the preferred way rather than the camera. Using the camera is cumbersome and not productive.

The camera is only considered a fallback option right now.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know.

Thank you!