cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Role as WF Admin for a specific workflow - Reg

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

I am trying to define a WF Admin for a specific workflow. I know we can maintain a USER ID or EXPRESS(WFsyst-agent) or Rule for this in the Version Dependent tab of Basic Data for wflow template.

But, when i give a Role(Custom R:XXXXXXX role), and do the syntax check, it is giving me the following error and am not able to proceed further.

"Organizational object 'R:PR044_TRAVEL_MANAGER' not available".

My guess is the agent that you give here should be an Org. Obj. For ex., when we specify a USER ID, then the Admin for this witem is shown as "ORGUSXXXXX" and similarly when we assign this custom role, may be it is trying to find if this role is an org. obj (which is obviously not) and hence the error.

Have any of you tried this ROLE option here and can you pl explain me what is wrong with my setting.

I'd appreciate your quick response as this is very critical for me.

Thanks in advance.

venu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

I had a spare moment to try this: I can enter roles no problem - v700 SP12 as well. I remembered also that the length bug was not at this point at all, but it simply won't find any agents if the role name is too long.

May be worthwhile reporting to OSS? A long shot would be to check you don't have any auth failure when entering a role...

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

i checked the auth. and no issues there. the SU53 shows a success only. Also, to mention, when i put a role with 9 char also, and try to SAVE it, it doesn't allow me at all. In the rest of the cases..like using EXPRESSION or USER or POSITION, it says" Basic Data doesn't contain any errors" and saves and comes back to the template for Syntax check..But in the case of ROLE, this is not happening.

I couldn't do it yesterday, i'll sit on this and see what it gives me.

Thanks,

venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

I was wrong. Actually, for some wierd reason, the SU53 was not showing the correct auth. failure earlier. After i logged out and logge in, It was showing auth. failure in SU53 and so i got that fixed and now its accepting the role. I tried with a ROLE with 9 char though. And it's working fine.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards,

venu

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per the note 860251, there is no solution other than maintaining 12 char length..it seems.

So, closing the thread for now.

THanks for all of your suggestions.

venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

I thought i had solved it. But, when i am trying now with a role "RXXXXXXX" that is 14 char, its not working again.

Can anybody tell me if there is any limitation on the role name (should start with Y or Z) or char length (14 char or 12..).

Your immediate response is greatly appreciated.

========

Hey, i just foudn that its the limitation with 12 char ..not Y or Z..and also found this OSS note 860251. It discussed the issue, but not a solution other than choosing a 12 char length for Role name.

Anybody, any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

venu

Edited by: Venugopal Jogi on Jul 14, 2008 6:07 PM

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Venu,

Yes you can use roles, don't believe everything you read here.

There's a dumb bug with role names longer than 14 characters. Use a role with a shorter name and it will work.

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried, as per your suggestion, a role with even 10 char and it still gives the same error message.

I'm debugging the "Syntax check" to see if i can get sthing.

Pl suggest..

Regards,

venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike,

Would Note "765564 - SWDC: Workflow administrator defined as a role" be relevant here ?

Coz, I guess its the same whether you use Role as Common WF ADmin in SWDC or Specific to a wflow template at header level.

By the way i am working on ECC 6.0 with

SAP_BASIS 700 0012 SAPKB70012

Pl let me know.

Thanks

venu

Edited by: Venugopal Jogi on Jun 25, 2008 10:12 PM

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well spotted, that note is however contained in SP11 so it's already in your system.

Interesting, I know the length limitation definitely exists with standard workflow administrator maintenance - it's due to SAP treating the field as an HR object type. However there may be another bug in the workflow header administrator field. Let us know if you find anything - I would suggest that you keep testing with a short name to rule out the length bug.

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes..

i'll let you know.

Thanks

venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

You cannot use Role(I think Rule and Role is same) here you can use Rule which you create from PFAC Transaction code.

Thanks

Arghqadip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arghadip,

RULE and ROLE are different and i have not tried with RULE yet. As my requirement is simpler than creating a RULE, if i have a readily available ROLE, i would like to use ROLE instead of RULE.

Any further ideas !!!

Thanks

venu

imthiaz_ahmed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's based on what SAP version your are using. I think older version doesn't have this both options.

Regards, IA

imthiaz_ahmed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It should take it. Make sure you have selected the "Role" not "Rule" and entered a valid role existing in PFCG.

Regards, IA

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I have selected ROLE only and assigned the valid ROLE only..not RULE.

thanks

venu