cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Exits to Characteristic Relationships

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anyone know where to find the information regarding the 3 user exits(FM: Comb. Proposal, FM: Comb. Check and FM: Derivation) used for Characteristic Relationships ?

I need to know when will those FM be called and how they releate to the setting of level and layout.

Thx Jeff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeff,

If you push F1 when your cursor is where you have to fill in the function then SAP will give you some explenation and an example function.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeroen,

I know how to write those FMs. But, I don't know when they will be called or how they related to the setting of ur planning level or layout. Like, the FM for comb. check will only be called only when u set ur layout to "Propose from possible characteristic combinations".

And, the FM for Comb. proposal will only be called when all the infoobjects be select in the level and the layout set as "Generate from transaction data". I thought we propose the valid comb. Then, the user can only plan in those comb. But, if u did not set values or variables for all the infoobjects u select for generate comb. in the planning layout. System will still generate all comb. values for those infoobjects which overwrtie the value u generate in the FM for proposal. Is this how the system work or i am doing the wrong way?

Best regards,

Jeff

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jeff,

let me give you a quick explanation of the characteristic relationships:

1) Derivation

The exit is called for every new or changed record. In order to derive a field, it must not be part of the planning level.

2) Combination Check (Validation)

The exit is called for every new or changed record. It is also called to check if parts of a layout are valid combinations (rows/columns/cells) in order to determine whether the cells are ready-for-input or not. In order to do a combination check, all fields must be part of the planning level.

3) Combination Proposal

The exit is only called if a planning layout is set to "All characteristic combinations". The purpose is to prepopulate a layout in order to reduce amount of the manual data entry by the user. Obviously, all fields used in the combination proposal must be part of the planning level.

As of SAP BW 3.5/SEM 4.0, BPS provides a where-used list for the char.relationships. It shows which char.relationships will be executed for each level and also in which order this will be done in case there are several relationships.

Regards,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG, US BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

I still got some questions regarding this topic.

> 3) Combination Proposal

>

> The exit is only called if a planning layout is set

> to "All characteristic combinations". The purpose is

> to prepopulate a layout in order to reduce amount of

> the manual data entry by the user. Obviously, all

> fields used in the combination proposal must be part

> of the planning level.

For example,

In my layout , I only restrict company to a fixed value.

I didn't set any restriction in Plant and product.

I have try to populate ETH_CHAS in the exit with only 2 comb.

companyA,PlantA,productA

companyA,PlantA,productB

But, after run the exit. The system generate all the possible comb. in ETH_CHAS.

like,

companyA,#,#

companyA,plantA,#

If I only want to plan those 2 comb. in the layout,I have to set plant restrict to A and product to A and B,right?

Is that how the system work, or maybe I am doing the wrong way?Please advise.

> As of SAP BW 3.5/SEM 4.0, BPS provides a where-used

> list for the char.relationships. It shows which

> char.relationships will be executed for each level

> and also in which order this will be done in case

> there are several relationships.

Good to hear that we have this enhancement in the new release.

Thx,

Jeff

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jeff,

the combinations with unassigned (#) are always valid and therefore added by BPS automatically. If you don't want them in the layout, you have to restrict the level/package (for example to plantA-Z and productA-Z in order to exclude #).

Regards,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG, US BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick response. I know that the # is a valid entry in all the master data in BW or BPS. I just want to make sure that, if we didn't restrict anything in plant and product. After the Comb. Proposal FM run, the system still try to generate all the possible comb. for the layout. Or, I should do like u said,put A~Z in both product and plant in the planning level to make the system only generate the result proposal by the FM.

Best Regards,

Jeff

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jeff,

if you leave the level/package unrestricted, the system will always include # in "all combinations" no matter whether you use a characteristic relationship or not.

So if you don't want #, then you have to restrict the package.

Regards,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG, US BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

Got it. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff

I'm working with an User Exits to Characteristic Relationships, and I have the same problem that you said in the before post, I also use the table ETH_CHAS and I generate ten combinations for four infoobjects ( 0VENDOR, 0MATL_GROUP, AND TWO CUSTOM OBJECTS ) but the system generates all possible

combinations for master data values.

Then, I want to know how do you resolve this issue.

Because, I only want to use the combination which I generate.

Best Regards

Enrique

Answers (0)