cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Types Required for NW 7.0 Upgrade

kabordner
Explorer
0 Kudos

We are in the initial planning phases for a BW3.5 upgrade to NW7.0. Our research has not shown definitive requirements for specific usage types to do strictly a technical upgrade to our system. We currently are running BW3.5 with SEM4.0 add-on. Our reporting platform is strictly BEx, we do not utilize the web at all for reporting purposes. We have been directed to complete a technical upgrade only, but still have not defined our required usage types.

Also, we are trying to determine what features we will be missing if we do not do a complete upgrade to the NW7.0 and an install of the JAVA components available within NW7.0.

Would anyone have any experience in this area or be able to point me to some documents that may be helpful. I have researched several at this point, but I am sure that there are more available.

Thank you for your assistance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

BI Java is mandatory for all customers who want to use content iViews from the new BI Administration Cockpit in SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s). BI Java includes the usage types EP and AS JAVA. The BI Administration Cockpit is delivered as two parts:

(1) As content for the usage types EP and BI Java containing preconfigured dashboards (Business Package).

(2) As a Business Content add-on.

Exception: If you are not using the BI Administration Cockpit iViews, you do not need the BI Java and EP usage types for this IT scenario.

Note: The use of Universal Data Connect (UDC) (part of Universal Data Integration (UDI)), BI Java SDK (also part of UDI), BI Metamodel Repository, or Web Services testing functions requires the usage type AS Java. AS JAVA can be installed alone or using the BI Java usage type.

Note also: The Business Content add-on (that is, the 'back-end part' such as content InfoCubes, process chains, and so on) of the BI Administration Cockpit is mandatory because it collects statistics and statuses that are required for system monitoring. This only requires the usage types AS ABAP and BI.

Also check the requirements for the IT scenarios “Enterprise Reporting, Query and Analysis” and “Business Planning and Analytical Services” with respect to the usage types BI Java and EP

Hope it Helps

Chetan

@CP..

kabordner
Explorer
0 Kudos

Chetan,

Thank you for replying to my question. Unfortunately it still does not entirely answer my question. I awarded points for your assistance.

Thanks!

Karen

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for assigning such huge points..appreciate it.

Hope it Helps

Chetan

@CP..

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

We performed a purely technical upgrade to BW 3.5 to BI 7.0 just as you are considering. Allow me to try to convince you that you must do a full upgrade including the BI Java.

Here's why:

Supportability - you will note that SAP pointedly states that BI Java is required with BI 7.0. Take that to heart - we found that there was very little support or information available while trying to trouble shoot 3.5 style BEX and WAD reporting problems working on the 7.0 stack. In other words none of the documentation or help will tell you how to trouble shoot a 3.5 report running on 7.0. You are basically on your own. Additionally we ran into numerous undocumented performance problems that appear to be related to the fact that we operating 3.5 reports and sources in a 7.0 system.

Expandability - even though you are currently only using BEX if you ever want to use the WAD or BEX Web you simply wont be able to. It just wont work without the BI Java and EP usage types.

Future upgradeability - ever since upgrading and discovering our own mistake we've been searching for a way to upgrade to the BI Java version. There is no supported way to add the BI Java and EP components after you upgrade. We are now considering a green-field implementation combined with a migration.

Unfortunately I don't have any links to share with you but we were able to find all the information we needed to realize our mistake (too late in our case) right here on SDN and through OSS.

I strongly urge you to upgrade to the BI Java/EP version of BI 7.0. If for no other reason than you will be able to actually follow all the "how-to" guides and performance tuning documentation that SAP provides. Otherwise, you'll find precious little information.

Hope this helps.

-Jon

kabordner
Explorer
0 Kudos

Jon,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post. I looked at your business card, but could not see what company you are working for. Would you mind sharing that information? If you do not want to post the company, you could just e-mail me that information to ksmeltz@state.pa.us. I am sure that we would have much to gain from just a phone conversation to discuss your experiences doing the upgrade in this manner.

Thanks!

Karen