cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPX_DATES_DERIVE: Derive 0FISCPER and 0FISCYEAR from 0CALWEEK?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Forum-

I am currently trying to use UPX_DATES_DERIVE function module in a planning layout to derive 0FISCPER and 0FISCYEAR. I am currently running into issues with this. I currently have this derivation defined in the characteristic relationship tab of the planning area. However, when the planning is executed and saved, the derivation of these other time characteristics does not occur. Is this function module able to derive this relationship or not? I would think it would be able to, if I had the source of the function module be 0calweek and 0fiscvarnt, so I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue before.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Daniel,

FYI, here are all the rules that are supported by UPX_DATES_DERIVE:

0CALDAY -> 0CALMONTH2

0CALDAY -> 0CALYEAR

0CALDAY -> 0CALWEEK

0CALYEAR + 0CALMONTH2 -> 0CALMONTH

0CALMONTH -> 0CALYEAR

0CALMONTH -> 0CALMONTH2

0CALMONTH2 -> 0CALQUART1

0CALMONTH -> 0CALQUARTER

0CALYEAR + 0CALQUART1 -> 0CALQUARTER

0CALQUARTER -> 0CALYEAR

0CALQUARTER -> 0CALQUART1

0CALWEEK -> 0CALYEAR

0FISCYEAR + 0FISCPER3 -> 0FISCPER

0FISCPER -> 0FISCYEAR

0FISCPER -> 0FISCPER3

Regards

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG

former_member188886
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Marc,

Would be good if SAP would add that to the Function Module documentation or in the source code.

Would have saved me the time of reading thru the source code? before I saw your post!

Is there anyplace where there is good documentation on which PS function modules are available & what the do?

Thanks

Jay Roble

General Mills

Former Member
0 Kudos

Daniel,

If you want 0fiscper and 0fiscyear to be derived form 0calweek, 0calweek must be in the planning level but 0FISCPER and 0FISCYER cannot be in the planning level. Only fields not in the planning level would undertake characteristic relationship derivations.

Hope this helps,

Mary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mary-

Those characteristics aren't in the planning level and still aren't derived. Since a calendar week can fall into two different fiscal periods, I'm thinking the function module can't calculate it.

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

okay, you did not say your cal week can cross fiscal period since some customer are on 4-4-5 so that calendar weeks can map to their fiscal months.

I don't have access to the system right now but there are some other modules to convert time UPX* but I think I would take a step back and question your time granularity in the data model.

You are not planning to a day level (which is not advised with the BPS limitations) so there is nothing for the system to tell which part of the calweek it is in and thus which fiscal period it is in. Do you really need both Fiscal period (which I persume is some type of month) and Calendar week in the same cube?

Former Member
0 Kudos

From a promotion planning standpoint in TPM, must promotions are planned at a calendar week level. However, budgets are looked at from a fiscal period level. I was thinking if promotions were planned at a calweek level, then the rest of the time characteristics could be derived so comparisons to a budget could be done. Also, if you know the fiscal variant, wouldn't the system know how to break up the calendar?

And yes, I am not planning at a day level.

Thanks again for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Daniel,

Are you actually using the TPM module? It is a scenerio involving BW,BPS,CRM and APO. Or are you trying to develop something yourself that can be used to plan promotions and trade spending?

Most CPG and Retail clients I worked with are on a 4-4-5 fiscal calendar with the 53 week issue every so often. If you have a 4-4-5 calendar, you would run into issues using 0calweek as well since 0calweek is restricted to 52 weeks only. so companies have 2 fiscal year variant, one for financials and the other for logistics. Are you sure they are not using something else for time?

Be careful what you use since TMVL in FOX of BPS only works with 0 time characteristics not with custom defined Z objects.

Off the top of my head and knowing only very superficial info about this, I think you need to look into the option of having two separate cube one by month for finance / budgeting and one by week for promotions and some business logic how to assign them from promotions in weeks to budget in months.

Hope this helps. If this is helpful, feel free to assign points.

Mary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mary.

We are using fiscal year variant K4, so not sure if that causes an issue.

I see what you are saying. I had a feeling this would come as an issue.

We are involving BW, BPS, CRM. I think if we just do plan vs. actual at the promotion level, we will be ok.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

So you are not using TPM as the Trade and Promotion Management module provided by SAP.

Usually if you have a calender month for fiscal period, which is implied by K4, the budget only matches up to calweeks promotions at calquarter level since weeks can go across different months. If you stay with the week / promotin level, you are fine.

If you really need to compared CCA budgets then some complex/business logic need to be developed in another BPS cube or in reporting such as :

Fiscal period (month) 1 = calweek 1-4 + 1/3 calweek 5

Fiscal period (month) 2 = 2/3 cw 5 + cW 6-8 + 2/3 Cw 9

FP 3 = 1/3 CW 9 + CW 10-13.

Which BPS version (and SEM-BPS or BW-BPS) are you using ?and which version of CRM? If SEM-BPS on BW 3.2-2.5 you might want to look into the CPG and Retail content a little for BW and if SEM-BPS 3.5 or 4.0, you might want to activate and play with some of the retail and CPG sample planning applications. The last time I looked at the Retail sample application in BPS, they had a complicated 4 cube architecture I think which did not really work for the client that is really on a 4-4-5 calendar but that was about a year or a year and half ago.

Yeah, I have been lobbying SAP for some more standard time characteristics such as Fiscquarter, fiscmonth etc. or the ability to create custom time characteristics but the feedback so far is no immediate plans so still a bit of workaround or additional business logic...

Glad it was useful since I had battled that on several projects both on the BW side and the last 2+ years on the BPS side.... On my last project with a 4-4-5 logic, I had to program a lot of stuff into FOX if statements...

Cheers,

Mary

p.s. add - if you are using CRM, you might want to look into UPX_MNTN but note that this would remain on BPS0 and woudl not go to BI Integrated Planning.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary-

After looking around BW-BPS 3.5, I executed the follow function module via a planning function of type exit: UPX_EXIT_COMPLETE_TIME. Here, I used 0CALWEEK and 0FISCPER as the fields to be changed, and 0FISCPER was derived in addition to 0FISCYEAR with 0FISCVARNT as K4.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

uhmm, that FM seems new. My time in BW-BPS 3.5 have been very compressed/focused on some prototyping so did not have much chnace to explore.

Glad that my comments have helped and great that you solved your issue

Mary