cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade a SAP UI5 Custom Application

wridgeu
Participant

Hi All,

I recently had to check some custom UI5 applications for their upgradability. I feared it ‘crashing’ or not starting up to begin with but was quite surprised.

Instead it worked just fine when testing it with different future UI5 releases (from 1.38 to 1.71). All I had was a lot of deprecation error/warning messages in the browser console.

I’m not sure if we tested this properly which was via respective bootstrapping with the corresponding UI5 CDN Link as well as the UI5 build-in debug tools where you can reload the application with different UI5 versions.

Maybe such a test is insufficient and when actually upgrading the SAP system component (SAP_UI) it’ll make more trouble – when not refactoring/switching out the deprecated controls but instead ‘hard’ upgrading?

If you got any information regarding this or hints, I’d really appreciate a few sentences of guidance towards whats the 'best practice' in this scenario is.

Best Regards,

Marco

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

maheshpalavalli
Active Contributor

Hi marcobeier

It's not mandatory to upgrade the deprecated controls to latest controls, but they are discouraged as there will be no support from SAP. Also the new features will be available only for the latest controls and not for the old ones.

If you want to check before upgrading, you could try the below way to load the resources from UI5 CDN and check if all the apps works properly.

https://blogs.sap.com/2017/06/08/fiori-for-s4hana-what-the-%C2%A2-is-cdn/

Thanks,
Mahesh

wridgeu
Participant

Hello maheshkumar.palavalli,

that was quite what I was looking for! I'm well aware that deprecated controls (from a developer perspective) should definitely not be left unchanged. Anyway it is nice to know that it's not a 100% necessary to completely rework the application when performing an upgrade of the SAP_UI component.

I appreciate your answer, thank you!

Best Regards,

Marco

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mariusobert
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Hi Marco,

first of all, I'm glad that the upgrade (seemed to) worked. I don't have a lot of experience in upgrading an existing UI5 app, so I cannot give you a definite answer.

I just wanted to point you to the UI5 migration tool that might be able to indicate possible issues.

wridgeu
Participant

Hi Marius,

the SAP_UI component upgrade (and with it the UI5 Version upgrade) has not yet been made. I had the task to figure out whether or not such an upgrade would break the custom UI5 application. I have tried to figure that out via switching between the different UI5 versions, since the current UI5 version of the application (1.38) is quite far behind. However it seemed to work just as before (except all those deprecation errors/warnings in the browser console). I'm not sure if replacing all those deprecated controls becomes a must once the SAP_UI component has been upgraded. I don't know why, but I somehow expect the application to break.

Thank you for pointing me towards the migration tool! It looks pretty interesting but I guess using it would go more into the direction of application refactoring/reworking.

Appreciate your input though. 🙂

BR, Marco